Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Help, Please >
  • Need Help, Please

• Need Help, Please

Old 06-23-2011, 01:14 PM
    Power Poster

Don't worry about the straight of grain and cut the fabric so it is straight for your use. I would starch it well first to help control the slight bias edge you will have. Then handle the fabric with a gentle hand. Hope this will help.

cool star fabric!
    peace :D

Okay. if the star design is going to be cut into small pieces or HST (half square trianlges) then cut it on the straight of grain. It won't matter if you lose the star.

For future reference if you want to use a stripe or pattern that needs to be cut on a line to match, like a plaid, you will cut following the pattern and not the SOG (straight of grain). I would always starch the fabric before cutting.

HTH (hope this helps)
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM

Thank you.
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 PM

If you have the fabric name maybe you can purchase some more. I know that is an added cost but it might be worth it in the end. Hope this helps.
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaggieMeg
    Thank you.
    Be sure to post your progress and pictures. I am bookmarking your thread to follow.
    peace :D
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM

I agree with MIJul.

7 1/4 square includes 4 whole stars - so quartered is a star on each triangle IF they were cut straigt (to the print). Because it's on an angle, some of your triangles will have a star on it, and some will have half or a quarter of a star (depending on how many rows you have to cut). I am inclined to think that for this size triangle you'd want to go with a smaller print - unless your intention was to have a perfect (or near perfect) star in each triangle. If that was your intention there is nothing to do but cut it straight to the print and buy more fabric if necessary.

Also ... when you get to the stripe fabric - definately cut that to the print, not the grain. Check it first and if it's off starch it heavily then cut it so the print is straight.
    Old 06-23-2011, 01:35 PM

The picture that came with the quilt has the stars in pieces, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it. This is to be a quilt of valor gift to my son-in-law for serving overseas. It is not one I would prefer. I bought it before I ever made a quilt. With two whole quilts under my belt, I have now seen so many pretty quilts of valor that I wish I had waited on the purchase. But I have it, and I am going to make it, or give it my best attempt. It is called Stripes and Stars.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-215732.jpe  
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:42 PM

Okay Maggie, I understand when you say that you 'won't be able to square' it up. If you cut the width of the fabric with the print the length cut will cut the star in half, so no matter what way you cut you end up with a partial star. If this fabric is going to be triangles it won't show that much because the cross cuts are going to cut the stars in 1/2 anyways.

Does that make sense to you?
    Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM

Now that I see that you are going to cut it up into pieces, I guess it doesn't matter.
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I agree with MIJul.

7 1/4 square includes 4 whole stars - so quartered is a star on each triangle IF they were cut straigt (to the print). Because it's on an angle, some of your triangles will have a star on it, and some will have half or a quarter of a star (depending on how many rows you have to cut). I am inclined to think that for this size triangle you'd want to go with a smaller print - unless your intention was to have a perfect (or near perfect) star in each triangle. If that was your intention there is nothing to do but cut it straight to the print and buy more fabric if necessary.

Also ... when you get to the stripe fabric - definately cut that to the print, not the grain. Check it first and if it's off starch it heavily then cut it so the print is straight.
    Don't forget, I am a total newby. Unadopted. I just hope to make the quilt. The picture of the quilt showed it all cut up the way I ended up doing. When I get fabric and not a kit, then I can get extra fabric and cut them out nicely or purchase smaller print. I am just trying to learn. I appreciate all the help you can give me. I am amazed at how the print on the fabric was that far out of kilter! I will certainly take your advice on the strip fabric! Thank you!
    Old 06-23-2011, 06:41 PM

Wishing you good luck and straight seams. :-) I'm very impressed with your dedication and willingness to stick with it. It's going to turn out great and you're learning good lessons while making something meaningful. Good for you.