Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help pricing floor model bernina Q20 >
  • Need help pricing floor model bernina Q20

• Need help pricing floor model bernina Q20

Old 08-03-2019, 04:49 PM

Default Need help pricing floor model bernina Q20

Hi everyone. So I have visited a store twice to try out the Bernina Q20. Needless to say I知 in love. I知 not a great haggler and I want to make sure I知 getting a fair price. It is a floor model that has been showcased since Nov 2018 with 355,000 stitches. With delivery, set up and taxes and those grippers (and hopefully the ruler foot thrown in), it comes to $9650. I haven稚 asked her to come down, and quite honestly I知 not sure what痴 fair. I壇 love to piggyback off of your experiences and thoughts. Thank you so much in advance.
    Old 08-03-2019, 05:01 PM

I just checked https://www.bernina.com/en-US/Longar...-Q-24-on-Frame and the MSRP on the Q20 is $21,999. It looks like a great deal to me! 335,000 is not very many stitches on a longarm.
    Old 08-03-2019, 05:24 PM

This is frameless, it comes with the koala table. I think MSRP is $12.5k or $13k.
    Old 08-03-2019, 05:33 PM

There are very real differences between moving the fabric on a sit down machine and moving a machine over the fabric. I'm finding my hard fought long arm skills don't translate so well moving the fabric. But we get used to what we have to do.

Koala cabinets are not to be sneezed at! And the size is a consideration for many of us.

Around here (Seattle), a good used long arm setup with no machine is probably around $1500-2500 if you decide to go that route in the future, I've seen some fantastic deals though by people downsizing.
    Old 08-03-2019, 05:33 PM

I was at a quilt shop yesterday that carries BabyLock and the Bernina Q24 and Q20. The owner told me the Q20 retails for $22,000 and they sell it for $18,000. The Q20 was $14,000. Frames were all the same price regardless of size chosen. And Bernina has not come out with a new model so I don't think there is any difference in the '18 vs '19 model. So I agree, that sounds like a good price.

I have a Bernina 750 with bsr. It works great. I had a 440 and it was even better but such small throat space to machine quilt.

Btw, was this Q20 the sit down version or on a frame/rack? I rarely see the Q20 on a frame, just in the sit down version.

Whoops, just saw you posted it was sit down. Not sure of the pricing on that version.

Last edited by The Quilted Cottage; 08-03-2019 at 05:35 PM. Reason: new info
    Old 08-03-2019, 07:38 PM

I think that is a great price, when I bought my frame years ago they had the Q20 setup for people to play and I heard them say it was over $20,000. I know in my area every place I checked the price of the frame (10 ft) was 1500 that included installation.
    Old 08-04-2019, 03:03 AM

If it were in this area it would be gone. Be prepared to pay the asking price, but just ask if there is some wiggle room.
    Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM

I bought one a few years ago at the Chicago show for a special show price of $10,000. It’s set into the Koala table. I love my machine. We picked it up and it was easy to set it up by ourselves. I personally think they could do a little better than that price. If offering cash is possible, I’ve found dealers can do a lot better on the price. But even at that price, I think you’d love it.
    Old 08-04-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by littledentist
    Hi everyone. So I have visited a store twice to try out the Bernina Q20. Needless to say I’m in love. I’m not a great haggler and I want to make sure I’m getting a fair price. It is a floor model that has been showcased since Nov 2018 with 355,000 stitches. With delivery, set up and taxes and those grippers (and hopefully the ruler foot thrown in), it comes to $9650. I haven’t asked her to come down, and quite honestly I’m not sure what’s fair. I’d love to piggyback off of your experiences and thoughts. Thank you so much in advance.
    Show prices last year in Virginia for that set up were right around 10,000 and also included the ruler foot, a bunch of rulers, some couching feet and other goodies thrown in.

At 9650 without the other goodies thrown in, you're basically getting it for what was the show price (minus cost of goodies) from last year. With only 355,000 stitches that's essentially a new machine. Since they're throwing in delivery, and set up and that price includes the taxes, I'd say that's an excellent deal.

Rob
    Old 08-04-2019, 09:00 AM

There are a great many second hand sit down machines available. In a variety of different brands. Check out listings and the reasons for selling prior to putting down your money.

I bought a demo embroidery machine about 9 years ago. I paid 1/2 the MSRP, and they threw in extra feet.

As I posted in another thread, when I am buying something used, I offer 75% of what they are asking. I am also willing to walk away from a 'deal'. The last car I bought I made my offer and walked away. Over the next three weeks the salesman would text me a 'new' price, I would text back the price I was willing to pay. When he got to within $300 of my price I agreed to the sale. I have many people tell me, my offer was unreasonable, but in the end I moved $300 and the dealership moved $10,000.