Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help from a quilter that is bilingual-English and Spanish >
  • Need help from a quilter that is bilingual-English and Spanish

• Need help from a quilter that is bilingual-English and Spanish

Old 04-25-2010, 01:41 PM

Hi
    My friend, Rayna, works with legal immigrants helping them learn English and learn more about our culture. Most are from Central and South America. They can do needlework and weaving but Quilting is new to them. Rayna wants to teach them quilting using both English and Spanish. She wanted to make a workbook, 3 ring binder, with instructions for 5 or 6 simple blocks. There would be real block, the instructions, a picture of a completed quilt using that pattern. Then instructions how to make the quilt, the sandwich, and the same for binding.
    The problem is Rayna is bilingual but has never quilted I have quilted but don't know Spanish! I can make the blocks and download the English and Spanish instructions but the problem is to find the instructions for these block where the wording is exactly the same to help them learn English. Can anyone out there help??
    Old 04-25-2010, 01:43 PM

Check with the local library or high school. If there is a Spanish teacher she/he may be willing to take it on as a class project.
    Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
    Power Poster

Can you use a translator program to translate the directions into spanish? I have it on my google toolbar and it translates other languages into english when I visit foreign websites...

I click on the translate button, and the whole page is translated. I think the instructions would have to be on a website to use this. You could post the directions here in english and then request it in spanish from this tool bar. Then you could view it or print it out for them.
    Old 04-25-2010, 09:03 PM
    Power Poster

Could she be there with you , and you read/tell her the EXACT instructions in English and she could write them in Spanish ?

Or if you go to a site like quitlerscache , they give you the complete instructions could you get your friend to translate them ?

Understand that there will be areas where a direct translation is impossible . And like English , Spanish has many words that mean the same thing but depend on usage.
    Good Luck
    Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM

Be careful using a translating website. Although they are quite handy they translate exactly how you put it in. So although the wording is correct in English the translation to Spanish probably wont be right.

Can't you work with your friend and have her do the translating? I bet you two could figure it out pretty easy :) Good Luck
    Old 04-26-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    Could she be there with you , and you read/tell her the EXACT instructions in English and she could write them in Spanish ?

Or if you go to a site like quitlerscache , they give you the complete instructions could you get your friend to translate them ?

Understand that there will be areas where a direct translation is impossible . And like English , Spanish has many words that mean the same thing but depend on usage.
    Good Luck
    Good idea! I'll go ahead and make the book in English and then work with her to to a Spanish version. Guess my brian was not working when I was thinking about it. Thanks
    Old 04-26-2010, 06:17 AM

As a Spanish speaking quilter I find that instructions are very difficult to translate. There are many words that have no literal translations because there is no need for that word in the spanish community. When I joined QNNTV I found a few shows in spanish but even then they had difficulty with a few words and used them in English. I haven't even found a word in Spanish that only means QUILT!
    Old 04-26-2010, 09:52 AM

My best friend doesn't speak english and my spanish is just OK to get by. I have taught her basic quilting by showing her in person. I can't imagine trying to write instructions in spanish. There are no words in spanish for many things and techniques. So far we call quilts " covejas".