Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need help... TOTALLY different tastes... No ideas what to do. >
  • Need help... TOTALLY different tastes... No ideas what to do.

• Need help... TOTALLY different tastes... No ideas what to do.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Yesterday I was working on a quilt for my MIL and told my DH that it was hard to get into because she wanted so much black in it and I just didn't like the way it was turning out. It's really hard to put your heart into a quilt that you really don' like. He told me to get over it there are a lot of things that I don't like that other people like! Was that a HINT or what !!!????
    Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I know exactly how you feel. My daughter picked what I though were weird colors for my GD's nursery. Pink and brown. I found out later these colors are all the rage. We couldn't decide on fabric so I went and bought the window valences that were part of the nursery collection she wanted. I took them apart and went and bought fabric to go with it and made a quilt. You can see it in my avatar, my granddaughter is sitting on it. It turned out really nice. Made us both happy.
    Cute grand daughter, cute quilt. What pattern did you use?
    Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
    Originally Posted by mhansen6
    I know exactly how you feel. My daughter picked what I though were weird colors for my GD's nursery. Pink and brown. I found out later these colors are all the rage. We couldn't decide on fabric so I went and bought the window valences that were part of the nursery collection she wanted. I took them apart and went and bought fabric to go with it and made a quilt. You can see it in my avatar, my granddaughter is sitting on it. It turned out really nice. Made us both happy.
    Cute grand daughter, cute quilt. What pattern did you use?
    It is called Grandma's Cottage Garden by Sweet Treasures
    Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 PM

Take that fabric, meet your niece and go shopping together to get some more colors that SHE likes.....show HER some patterns to choose among. It's only a little quilt and the purpose is to welcome the new baby and make the mother happy.
    Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM

THanks everyone for the input... Haven't been able to get to the computer until now (11:00 PM) but will go through all the responses in the morning. I am definitely planning on using this fabric that she really likes, and I liked it best of what she liked... I just can't figure out HOW to use it. No patterns jumped at me to use with this fabric. I will use what she likes because I want her to LIKE the quilt. She told me that whatever I did, she'd like it since I made it, but I want it to be something she will LOVE, not just like! The idea of a pinwheel with the different colors does sound good. I am doing a 3D pinwheel now, and it has been fun.

Again, thanks all of you! Will be able to be on the computer more in the morning and will get to read and absorb the ideas then!
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM

I think that a keepsake baby quilt should not be a small version of a regular adult quilt pattern, but something that a child would relate to not only in color but in pattern. That implies that the pattern would be juvenile. The Editors and Contributors of Quiltmaker Magazine has printed a book called Tuck Me In which gives the patterns for 18 cute and cuddly quilts for kids. It is sold on Amazon. These are wonderful patterns. Something that would be prized not only because of who made the quilt but because of the delightful pattern appropriate to a child.
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:37 PM

I have a tizzy fit when someone gives me a "base fabric" that has a one way print on it, or worse yet, a panel. My new directive is that the hopeful person may pick one or two solid type colors, then the rest of the thing is up to me. Regarding the style, the current trend in baby quilts seems to me to be really simple, like 6" blocks, frame with 2" strips of a color, then strip again in white. You could do aqua and pink frames, or whatever suits you. You are the artist, after all.
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 PM

I have a tizzy fit when someone gives me a "base fabric" that has a one way print on it, or worse yet, a panel. My new directive is that the hopeful person may pick one or two solid type colors, then the rest of the thing is up to me. Regarding the style, the current trend in baby quilts seems to me to be really simple, like 6" blocks, frame with 2" strips of a color, then strip again in white. You could do aqua and pink frames, or whatever suits you. You are the artist, after all.
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 PM

If those are the colors she likes, then you should make the quilt with what she wants.
    After all,,,,it is for her baby!!!
    Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Here is a pretty quilt that might work with the fabric she chose.Good luck :thumbup: http://www.goddessinprogressblog.com...6/for-mallory/