Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Idea For Cemetary >
  • Need Idea For Cemetary

• Need Idea For Cemetary

Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks everyone, you gave me some good ideas. It helps to hear all your ideas. Also thank you for your condolences. You are all very kind.
    Old 04-06-2012, 04:38 AM
    Power Poster

We were dairy farmers ... my husband headstone has a cow engraved on it, along with our farm name. And too, I chose a large rock from our farm, in place of the traditional marble/granite headstones.

The cemetery has lots of different engravings significant to the individuals ... a set of farm buildings (easily identifiable to the deceased's farmstead), a vintage corvet (and others with "their" antique car), fire department logos and fire engines, photos (embedded behind glass and on the granite, and they seemingly never fade), books with titles on the edge, masonic emblems (and other logos), stalks of corn/wheat, and 18 wheeler, ... and more!
    Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

You could do a folded pinwheel out of fabric with a button in the middle. Sew through it and the button and fasten it to a bamboo skewer to push it into the grass by the stone? I don't know what the policy is at your graveyard for leaving things at the site?
    Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 AM

I love the idea of a small banner on a garden stake. Made of rip-stop nylon would be the best, imho, due to the issue of inclement weather and strong sunshine. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. Please let us know what you decide and know you are in all our prayers.
    Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 PM

Look at the website classicmetalcompany.com. They make silhouette quilt signs. You could Affix a stand that would go into the ground like a sign would as a more permanent tribute to her love of quilting if it isn't reflected on her headstone.
    Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 AM

After our young friend passed away, I left a minature block among the flowers. It was still there when I visited later. Now and then I leave another block. We promised to never forget her.
    Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 PM

If you do some google searches at the Iowa state fair last year I saw some vendors with laser cut metal quilt silhouettes. They were very artistic and could be used as signs or on houses as decorations. You could have one made on a stand to press into the ground on the back side of your mom's marker. They even come in colors. My sympathy on your loss. I hope you will carry on your mothers quilting tradition.