Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Ideas >
  • Need Ideas

• Need Ideas

Old 05-07-2023, 08:23 PM

Default Need Ideas

I’ll be starting a memory quilt of baby clothes for my daughter using grandson’s baby clothes. My question is has anyone seen buttons shaped like clothes pins? Think it would look better than trying to cut a shape of a clothes pin out of fabric.
    Attached Thumbnails 909e6a9f-a96b-469c-b056-ad988e1c3db3.jpeg  
    Old 05-07-2023, 11:01 PM

I am sure that they must exist somewhere, even tho I have never seen them. Could you take actual clothespins that would be proportional to the items you are "hanging" and take them apart and sew down just half of the clothespin with the thread replacing the wire? You could also drill holes in a half pin to sew them on flat like a button. Wooden clothespins are available in numerous sizes, will withstand washing, and add a cute textural component if you cannot find buttons that would work.
    Old 05-07-2023, 11:23 PM

If all else fails, maybe this company can help. They have a "button finder" feature. https://www.lotsofbuttons.com/en/button-finder
    Old 05-08-2023, 01:42 AM

If you can't find clothes pin novelty buttons, you could 'hang' them to the clothes line with diaper pin shaped buttons.
    Approximately 3/4in. x 11/16in.
    https://www.amazon.com/Buttons-Galor...st_sto_dp&th=1
    Old 05-08-2023, 01:49 AM

Or... you could hang them up with butterflies buttons https://shop.buttons.com/550001149A-p/550001149a.htm
    Not a bad price -- required to purchase 3 packages of 7 buttons each - total of 21 buttons for $7.18.
    Old 05-08-2023, 02:11 AM

Or... these are mini clothes pins. You could take out the metal spring, glue the two sides back together and then sew them in the center length wise - from the hole where the 'clothes line' tipically goes through to between the center of the two sides, like you would sew through the holes of a button. mini clothes pins at Amazon

There are also numerous plastic mini clothes pins on Amazon. Here is one: blue plastic mini clothes pins you can also take out the metal spring and glue the two sides together then sew to your quilt through the center (top to bottom)

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-08-2023 at 02:16 AM.
    Old 05-08-2023, 03:00 AM

Another cute one - a high five (a hand holding the clothes to the clothes line) High Five button
    Old 05-08-2023, 03:50 AM

I know that I've seen some somewhere, made out of plastic so you would be able to wash the quilt. Wish I could remember where. Guessing JoAnns, or Walmart.
    Your quilt is beyond believeable. I've never seen one like it and you have put a lot of thought and love into it. WOW!!
    Old 05-08-2023, 03:58 AM

On second thought, I'd use a bakeable clay (sculpty clay) available at JoAnns near the art canvas section and make my own. Cut a section off, flatten it to desired lenths and cut to size with a sharp knife, poke two holes with a toothpick and bake. When cooled I'd coat with a water based clear coat and leave to dry. I used this same clay for carrot noses on snowmen a million times. Worked wonderfully for me.
    Old 05-08-2023, 04:36 AM

The first thought that comes to mind, is what will the size of this quilt be? Will it be an actual useable bed quilt or will it be more of a wall hanging? If it is going to be the latter, and not be washed, you can find small clothes pins at the Dollar Store in their craft area. I used them to display quilt blocks on a 'clothes line' in my sewing room.