Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need info on labels >
  • Need info on labels

• Need info on labels

Old 10-14-2008, 04:58 AM

I've never heard of including the label under the quilting, and I'm having some trouble picturing how it's done. Do you do it on the first part or the last part of the quilting? How do you prepare the label ahead of time - seam allowances, etc. - and how do you attach it to the quilt? Any tips on how to position it perfectly? After quilting, do you hand sew the edges? I quilt on a Grace frame, and can't quite figure this out. Thanks for any tips - sounds like a good idea.
    Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 AM
    Power Poster

I think it was to write something in ink in the seam allowance that would get covered by the binding.

The only person that would know about it is the maker because it would be completely covered.

Of course, the down side is that part of the seam binding would have to be unsewn to reveal the writing.

This is in addition to a normal label.
    Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks everyone.

Nor'easter wrote

I have always hand written them in the past, but am going to try Printed Treasures for the five that are going out for Christmas. That way both labels on them will be the same type.

What is Printed Treasures
    Old 10-14-2008, 01:53 PM
    Banned

They are fabric sheets for ink jet printers that are 200 thread cotton, stay really soft, come in iron-on and sew-on, do not need any special washing to set the colors, lots of good reviews on them. I got some at JoAnn's yesterday for half price. http://www.printedtreasures.com/Pages/home.aspx
    Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 PM

I use the ink jet fabric sheets for my labels, this is one that I did for one of my quilts. :)
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-38074.jpe  
    Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM

I make quilts for nursing homes and just delivered my 10th for this year. The last one was for a guy with MS and confined to a wheel chair, and really loves sports. I used sports fabric and for the label, I traced the shape of a football, enlarged it on my printer, fused it to the back corner, then quilted the top. Then I used the quilting stitch on my machine and followed the outside shape to seal the edging. Written with a permanet fabric pen I do believe it will stay put through washings and hope no one else claims it. I put the persons name, my name and date. If the quilt is for a family member, I use the shape of a heart and write a short phrase pertaining to the person or reason for the quilt. It just adds a special touch and means alot to the person.
    Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 AM

I have only done one label so far, have only done two quilts! But I took a piece of matching fabric, and hand wrote my message in Pigma pen. Used a dry iron on it to set the ink. Then I pressed the edges to fold them under, used Wundaweb (fusible webbing) to stick it to the quilt, then hand blind stitched it make it doubly secure. Washed it the next day and it was fine.
    Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 AM

I'm still curious and confused about the mechanics of attaching the label before the quilting like Cathe showed.
    Old 10-16-2008, 09:01 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Calico92402
    I'm still curious and confused about the mechanics of attaching the label before the quilting like Cathe showed.
    Calico,

It doesnt really matter what technique you use to apply the label, just do it before you quilt it..

If you write it on a seperate piece of fabric and blind stitch it to the back of the quilt before quilting, then it will be quited over during the quilting process.

If you make a label with your embroidery machine, same thing, just attach it to the quilt back before you quilt it.

If you are sending it out to be quilted, I see how you are confused in this instance..call your quilter and ask her/him how they would prefer you to do it.. it may depend on how they set up their machine..

I you are layering and basting the quilt yourself, baste it together first, then you can see where the label should be placed...

Did that help?
    Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 AM

Thank you - that does help a bit. I quilt on a Grace frame, not my regular sewing machine, and that's why I'm having trouble picturing it, getting it positioned just right with the quilt top, etc. I'll have to work at it.