Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • need machine advise for a 5 year old >
  • need machine advise for a 5 year old

• need machine advise for a 5 year old

Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 PM

My Grandson 6 wanted to sew a little because Mema sews all the time.. I have a machine that I turns down the speed of
    sewing. (to really slow). He sewed around some preprinted
    bible hand pupets and loved it.
    That is what I would recomend a machine that the speed can turn down and she will grow into the machine.
    Old 08-28-2011, 03:02 AM
    Power Poster

when my granddaugter was 4 i found a little (3/4 machine) brother machine with speed control- i could set it at slow and no matter how heavy her foot was it would just stitch along nice and slow- paid $89 for it 6 years ago- she still uses that machine and loves it- it is still (just her size) i also set her up on a little carebear table & chairs- her little sewing corner was all- just her size- no problems reaching the pedal or anything else-
    all the kids have Brother machines with speed control (even my 30+ daughter :)
    the brother machines are good basic machines at reasonable prices- they have held up for many years now- and are the go-to machine (the kids in my world will stand aside and wait their turn for one of the brothers instead of sitting down at my Viking- not one of them-guys or girls like using the Viking-they all like using the Brother's)
    a little old singer is good too- but they don't have (cruise control)but a good heavy duty-will take alot of abuse machine-and stitch a nice line of stitches-
    but at the price some are paying for them---
    Old 08-28-2011, 05:15 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    when my granddaugter was 4 i found a little (3/4 machine) brother machine with speed control- i could set it at slow and no matter how heavy her foot was it would just stitch along nice and slow- paid $89 for it 6 years ago- she still uses that machine and loves it- it is still (just her size) i also set her up on a little carebear table & chairs- her little sewing corner was all- just her size- no problems reaching the pedal or anything else-
    all the kids have Brother machines with speed control (even my 30+ daughter :)
    the brother machines are good basic machines at reasonable prices- they have held up for many years now- and are the go-to machine (the kids in my world will stand aside and wait their turn for one of the brothers instead of sitting down at my Viking- not one of them-guys or girls like using the Viking-they all like using the Brother's)
    a little old singer is good too- but they don't have (cruise control)but a good heavy duty-will take alot of abuse machine-and stitch a nice line of stitches-
    but at the price some are paying for them---
    What model brother is is? Sounds like what I am looking for.
    Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 AM

I have to take my hat off to all you ladies who started you DGK so young. I was afraid, and made them wait until they were 8 years old. I was afraid that they would hurt themselves. Just a big chicken I guess, that or too much nursing in my past. I wouldn't get a toy, however. They are too small and light, and don't really do a good job. Years ago I got my step-grandaughter a toy machine, and she managed to make a few things, but lost interest, so I never got her a "real" machine. I thought that I would get a big machine it she showed the interest. Now I wonder, maybe the interest would be there if she hadn't had to fight the machine. None of my girls sew--they would rather just bring anything to Mom's house and have her do it. That plan didn't work for me--had to do it myself. I think my Mom was smarter than me. lol
    Sue
    Old 08-28-2011, 08:41 AM

I just purchased my, soon to be 5 year old, granddaughter a Pixie sewing machine by Singer. I also bought her charm packs and threads to complete the gift.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM

janome also sells a Hello Kitty machine that several designers have and use. One thing to be and get is a drop in bobbin. It is much easier for a little one to use.My granddaughter uses my Janome Jem. She is 8 and has been sewing now for 3 years.
    Old 08-29-2011, 05:22 PM
    Power Poster

I saw the Jem and was considering that one too. I have time to look because her birthday isn't until Oct.
    Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM

Riley came into my sewing room, sat in my chair and said, well Grama, which machine is mine??
    Get her a REAL ONE!! Those toy ones just don't cut it! Singer has some for $99 that have a couple of stiches and work great. You could even borrow it for sewing at the guild meetings!