Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Neat Christmas Gift Idea >
  • Need Neat Christmas Gift Idea

• Need Neat Christmas Gift Idea

Old 12-18-2010, 06:13 PM

regarding bread basket cloth, I found this posted two years ago by someone identified as Katydid. (I hope she doesn't mind me passing along. I made one for a friend and it's super easy...If you wanted to present it in a fun way, you could provide a basket and then a loaf of homemade bread or maybe a mix.. You could also made a coordinating hot pad or two. .Here are instructions I found from Katydid:: On a piece of paper cut 18 1/2" square. also make a 6" across circle and fold in half. Now take half circle and place in middle of each side and trace around inner edge. That's the pattern Cut from 2 coordinating fabrics. Stitch leaving about a 4" opening to turn right side out and stitch opening closed. If you like,insert jumbo rickrack or piping, it makes it twice as easy to turn I pressed really good after turning right side out and then stitched all around when I closed the opening.
    Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 PM

There are lots of cute patterns for quilted journal covers, needle cases and scissor holders on the web. It's always fun to use a theme fabric an coordinate the gift.
    Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 PM

NCSEWER: Where do I get the candle mat patterm or is if just a quilt block?
    Old 12-18-2010, 06:49 PM

I am also looking for the directions for the cone tree made with felt that has been cut with pinking scissors. Help!
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by johnniesgirl
    I have a good friend who is also a quilter and she comes up with the neatest ideas of things to make. I know she is going to give me something homemade for Christmas and would like to give her something I made too that is not the usual table runner, pillow, etc. Does anyone have anything they've made that's a little different. I also have an embroidery machine if that helps. Thanks !
    This is a purse organizer that I have made for my sisters, and a few close friends. It's a bit fiddly, but the pattern is excellent, and it turns out great. There's room for credit cards, coins, paper money, 4 exterior pouches for cell phone, keys, etc., and an interior pouch where I put a small pad of paper, elastic holders for pens, lipsticks, etc. The great part is that you can change purses easily, just by grabbing the tabs, and taking it out of one purse and into another. I got the pattern from the Clotilde website http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?cr...s+purse+insert and it's called a "Portapockets Purse Insert".
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-144972.jpe  
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    I made my friends bookmarks this year for Christmas. Also made some for daughters and granddaughters. I made these on my embroidery machine.
    Those are beautiful! They make a lovely gift!!
    Old 12-18-2010, 07:49 PM

My ex sister in law gave me a scissors holder one year. It was very simple, most likely she purchased it, even though she did sew. It was a cream colored quilted potholder that was turned to make a cone type triangle. Then hotglued together and had my favorite color of eyelet lace glued on the edges with buttons down the front for added directions. I will try and get a pic. and post it if I can remember how to post a pic. It may take awhile, may not get to it until tomorrow as it's late and I have a several things to get done for Church tomorrow, iron a blouse, and finish my snacks for our Christmas Brunch, run the washer and dryer etc. if you know what I mean. But I will try to get it done by tomorrow afternoon.
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 PM
    Power Poster

cell phone case with little handle, eye glass case, and variety sizes of scissors holders.
    Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 PM

I made seasonal tissue box(the sq. boxes) covers last year for my sisters and they loved them. I found the site on line and they only take 30 min. and a fat quarter and ribbon or yarn string.
    Old 12-19-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by marymm
    regarding bread basket cloth, I found this posted two years ago by someone identified as Katydid. (I hope she doesn't mind me passing along. I made one for a friend and it's super easy...If you wanted to present it in a fun way, you could provide a basket and then a loaf of homemade bread or maybe a mix.. You could also made a coordinating hot pad or two. .Here are instructions I found from Katydid:: On a piece of paper cut 18 1/2" square. also make a 6" across circle and fold in half. Now take half circle and place in middle of each side and trace around inner edge. That's the pattern Cut from 2 coordinating fabrics. Stitch leaving about a 4" opening to turn right side out and stitch opening closed. If you like,insert jumbo rickrack or piping, it makes it twice as easy to turn I pressed really good after turning right side out and then stitched all around when I closed the opening.
    I am a little confused and can't visualize the finished bread cloth. What is it that you turn right side out? The circle is sewn in the center of the square, correct? Do you have a picture?