Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need a new iron.... >
  • Need a new iron....

• Need a new iron....

Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM

Just purchased a'retro' iron at Big Lots for $18.00.
    Have not tried the iron yet. It looks and feels like an old iron that my mother used get hotter and heavier than newer model. Will let you know if the iron is good or if I return to store.
    Old 05-24-2010, 04:17 AM

I have had mine about 3 years now. Does have auto off but warms up fast. I love the triangle base so it doesn't tip easy if I bump into the ironing board. (tight quarters) It has never leaked on me yet. Got it at Target its a T-Fal.$40 Not a known brand for irons but as soon as I have some extra money(is there such a thing lol) I am getting another one for back up. Best iron I have ever had and a friend used it and liked it better than his Rowenta
    Old 05-24-2010, 05:43 AM

Had to get a new iron about two weeks ago. Cats knocked over my old Rowenta one too many times.

First one we got was a PS and it had a Teflon soleplate. Leaked like crazy out the back holes and AFTER I had used a 1/2 hour it would auto. shut off. So I could be in the middle of still using it and it would go off. It didn't have to sit idle for 30 minutes. Frustrating.

DD got another Rowenta auto steam model # 1700. She paid about $50.00 for it. She paid cuz it was her cats knocked the original over. I had forgotten an iron was suppossed to get this hot and to have such a blast of steam. Wow!
    Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 AM

I love using starch-does that make a difference with the sole plate?Thanks!
    Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    Mine is a $14 Walmart Proctor Silex. It has a teflon plate, NO auto shut off, a swivel cord and I love it!!! It gets plenty hot, and the sole plate looks as new as when I first got it early last fall. Occasionally I iron on a damp paper towel if I get a little fusible on it, or after pressing my freshly starched fabric. The steam isn't like the newer more expensive models, but it works just fine when I need a little blast. :D:D:D
    I have had this same iron for at least 5 years and love it. Have never had any problems with. I had an expensive Rowenta and it didn't do as well as this iron.