Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need a new sewing/embroidery machine....advice please >
  • Need a new sewing/embroidery machine....advice please

• Need a new sewing/embroidery machine....advice please

Old 11-25-2016, 12:07 PM

I have the Babylock Journey too. It doesn't have the built-in duel feeder, but it does have a walking foot which does the same thing. I first bought a Bernina 580 last year. It had a gorgeous stitch...but you had to flip through a zillion screens to get to where you needed to go. So after a couple of months, I exchanged it for the Babylock.

I would highly suggest that you test drive one out at the dealer before purchasing it no matter what brand you buy. The one thing I've found with the machines I looked at is that the trend is to merge computer functions with sewing functions. As a result, you have to go through more screens to get to the function you want. For example, on my older machine, I could just turn a knob on the front of the machine to change stitch length. On my new machine, you have to go to the correct screen to change stitch length first...so you have to stop, go to the correct screen, then change the length.
    Old 11-25-2016, 02:30 PM

One thing to remember before you mentally get yourself "locked" into the Pfaff...the original company was bought out... and now one company builds the following - Viking, Singer and Pfaff (VSP). So, I would go with an open mind about brands, and test drive as many as possible.

I usually recommend the same to anyone asking about longarm machines. Everyone is different, and we all like different things. I "test drove" pretty much every longarm on the market, MULTIPLE TIMES, before I bought my Viking MegaQuilter 18x8 (which was actually built by Tin Lizzie).

With all that said, if you already have some special feet that will work on the newer Pfaff machines (and you might want to check if they work on the Viking machines as well), you may want that to influence your decision somewhat. I had a similar situation with my Viking D1 machine - she really needs to go for some TLC, but I really cannot do without her long enough to put her in the shop. Along comes one of my guild friends, selling her Viking Quilt Designer. Voila! I jumped on the opportunity, because both machines use the same feet, they have very similar set-up, and she included a LOT of extras. So now, my D1 can go get a "spa treatment" without me going into piecing withdrawal. Once she comes back, she will pretty much be dedicated as my embroidery machine, so I'll be able to piece and embroider at the same time.

Make sure you get the training you need, and a great service plan. As expensive as the new machines are, you need to think of them the same way you do your car - it needs TLC on a regular basis.

Good luck finding the "perfect" machine!!
    Old 11-26-2016, 07:01 AM

I have a Janome 12000 but my recommendation is not necessarily for it but to make sure you will have good support from whom ever you buy it. I do not have that and believe me it is no fun. Good luck on your search.