Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need a new sewing machine - reccomendations? >
  • Need a new sewing machine - reccomendations?

• Need a new sewing machine - reccomendations?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:50 PM

I have a little Singer circa 2005. It's had a tension problem since a year after I got it, and the problem keeps getting worse. I'm ready to spend some money on a nicer machine. I'm willing to budget around 1500-2500 on a new machine. I eventually want to get a long arm quilting machine, but for now I just need a new sewing machine.

I've considered getting a vintage Singer, but I'm concerned about maintaining an antique machine vs a new one. I know things used to be made better "back in the day", but I don't know how to take care of something like that. :( Whatever I get, I want to be able to depend on it for a long time (and take it to a dealer or someone for maintaining when needed.)

What would you recommend and why?
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:00 PM

I have a Gem Janome that I use for taking to class and have never had a problem. I also have a Singer that is a workhorse and has never given me trouble.
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM

My Babylock Espire is a dream. The newer model is the Babylock symphony or the Brother Laura Ashley NX-2000. You won't be dissapointed. Got mine as a floor model so it was discounted to 1800. Check your dealers for deals. It is very user friendly, stitch quality is good, lots of stitch choices. I have had mine a year and am still learning new things. I went to the dealer, and asked him about them, and comparable models of other brands he was selling, he said they were best bang for your buck, and had far less issues than more expensive machines from other brands that did the same thing. If you are going to spend the money, just go to a dealer and test drive machines to see how you like them.
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM

My janome D C 3018 is a workhorse! I would like to get a bigger machine though. No Plastic gears. That was a problem I had with a singer only a few years back. The Older singers had the metal gears. I guess you have to ask..
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:39 PM
    Power Poster

You could get a great used Bernina for your price range. They are fabulous machines. If there is a dealer near you I'd check it out.
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:42 PM

I reccommend you go to the dealers in your area and test drive the machines! I personally love my Janome 6600, but you may love something else.
    Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Janome or Brothers, I have 2 Janomes and 1 Brother INOV is80,never had any problems with either one. My attachments for Janome fit my Brothers. I also have a Singer that is 48 yrs. old still going good,they just don't make them like they use to,too much plastic.
    Old 03-08-2011, 08:14 PM

You could try for a used, floor model, or sale-priced Bernina Aurora 440QE for that price. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. You'd have money to spare or spend on a vintage machine if you got a Babylock Quest Plus, or one of its cousin machines: Janome 6600, Elna 7300, Pfaff Smarter C1100 Pro. The Quest Plus has been on special for $999 because it's going to be replaced/upgraded by the new Serenade. I have both a Quest Plus and a 440 and LOVE them both. I got the 440 used. Ooo, almost forgot the Janome Horizon.
    Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 PM
    Power Poster

I love my Babylock Espire which is now marketed as the Symphonie. Too bad she doesn't have a built-in walking foot, but that is the only negative (and the add-on walking foot works well).
    Old 03-08-2011, 09:04 PM

I'll put in a vote for Pfaff. I have three of them and love them all.