Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need opinions on Connecting Thread's fabric >
  • Need opinions on Connecting Thread's fabric

• Need opinions on Connecting Thread's fabric

Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 AM

I have only gotten the batiks. I love them. They feel at least as thin as the lqs's. but that is just me. I haven't tried the other lines from them yet. but been thinking about it. I would order some and see what you think.
    Old 09-01-2011, 04:35 AM
    Power Poster

This is something you will need to decide for yourself. Some people love their fabric, some hate it. I don't know if the different lines they offer are different weights, but my cousin (a quilting instructor) was here a couple of weeks ago and wanted to know where I got a particular CT fabric because it was so thick, however, this fabric was not from their mirage line.
    I would order a yard and see.
    Old 09-01-2011, 04:43 AM

I don't think it's LQS quality. I would order a small cut and judge for yourself.
    Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 AM

There have been a LOT of threads on this topic. Do a search using the search feature above on "connecting threads fabric".

Personally, it's not in the same quality level as LQS. It's thin and I've been rather disappointed. Their customer service is awesome, their thread and material quality not so, IMO.
    Old 09-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I like CT fabric in general, but I'm not familiar with their Mirage line. Have you looked for Kona in the aqua color you want? They seem to offer quite a range of colors, and the price is very reasonable.
    Yes, I have located the color in Kona, but I really wanted the background of this quilt to have some texture since the applique is absolutely plain white. Maybe if I thought about it more and planned better, I might have bought the Kona for the background and found a textured white for the applique, but I already bought the Kona. If I don't find a texture in the color, I might just put the white Kona aside for something else, and buy the Kona background in the Aqua/turquoise I like and buy a tonal white for the applique. I would still want the white to be thick enough for the background not to show thru. I HATE making these decisions. This quilt HAS to be a show-stopper-and after putting that much work into it, I don't want to be dissappointed. Thanks!
    Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 AM

I'm going to their warehouse sale on Sept 10. Fabric is $2.96/lb. Yardage is at least 4" wide and 24" long. Yarn is $12/lb. Sounds like a "pot of gold". Hope it is!!! :-)

P.S. Yes, it is yardage and yarn by the POUND. Bring your own bags to fill!
    Old 09-01-2011, 08:55 AM

I have bought a lot of fabric from Connecting Threads and I really like it. But their mirage is a lighter weight fabric than the others. It washes beautifully and have never had one bleed.

If you call them, they will send you a swatch. Not sure if they charge for this. It is worth a try.
    Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Well, just spent over an hour on their site - and bit the bullet and bought 17 yards of fabric, thread and a pattern, and all for $80.00-free shipping and no sales tax! If the fabric isn't right for this whitework sampler, I should find a use for it on some other quilt-I just love the color. The other two fabrics weren't the mirage fabric, so maybe they will be a bit better. Can't wait to get it-I never order on-line because I can't "fondle" the fabric first!! Thanks everyone-I also read the previous threads on the board-don't know why I didn't think of that!
    Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 PM

OK update-I got my CT fabrics-and they seem fine!! The colors I LOVE, and they feel really nice. I guess the test will be how they feel after I wash them. Hope I am not disappointed. The price was really good-the Mirage (Robin's egg color) was on clearance for only $2.96/yd, another Quilters Candy was $4.96 and the last was $5.96-very reasonable-with free shipping and no sales tax! I don't always pre-wash, but since I haven't used this fabric yet and I am using it with white applique, I think I would be wise to wash first. I also got a bit of thread to try. Thanks everyone for your advise and opinions! I can't wait to start this quilt, but probably won't make a start until I get back from Vanuatu in November.
    Old 09-10-2011, 01:41 PM

I just went to their warehouse sale... $2.96 a pound! Woot!