Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need pros and cons please >
  • Need pros and cons please

• Need pros and cons please

Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks for all the great ideas...please keep them coming! I do need to clarify...the 35' X 40" is DH's new workshop...My room will be 12' X 12' and I am very excited to get that after sewing on the kitchen table for 38 years!
    Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM

12 x 12 is a good sized room! I sewed in a bi-door hall closet, with my chair in the hallway for over 20 years. I understand the THRILL of getting your own place. SO happy for you.
    Julie
    Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 PM

I sew/quilt at the kitchen table HOWEVER no matter where I sew/quilt I always have the table up against a wall at least along the back. This keeps the quilt from falling off the back of the table. Which prevents the falling weight of the quilt from pulling on the area that your trying to quilt. As long as the quilt is all bunched up on the table you can move it easily but if it is hanging on the table it does not move freely!
    Old 05-15-2011, 05:00 PM

I would love to have the moveable table with a hinged back. The other great item would be a large ironing board. I'm sure your DH would have no trouble building that, too. You are one lucky lady.
    Old 05-15-2011, 07:44 PM

I have found the biggest problem for me is bending over to cut alot of fabric. It hurts my back to have the table at sewing machine level. Just a thought.
    Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 PM
    Kas

See if your local library has or can get on exchange the book "Creating Your Perfect Quilting Space" by Lois L. Hallock. It is a great book for ideas and it also gives you formulas to use to make your space ergonomically correct just for you. I checked it out of the library and loved it so much I had to buy my own copy.
    Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 AM

Lucky you!
    Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 AM
    Power Poster

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so envious. We recently moved from our 3-bedroom home of 33 years to a two bedroom apartment. Talk about adjustments. I had my sewing table up against the wall so that when I was machine quilting the quilt would not fall over the back of the table and cause the quilt to drag when quilting. I really miss it, it was only 10x12 but I had a table for my sewing machine with an area to the left for cutting and to the right I had the ironing board set up with a window where I could see outside. I don't stand to cut, because of back problems, so everything is at the same level. Now I have a corner set up in my bedroom, but I can look out the window. I miss having space to have my ironing board set up all the time, but I have a small, portable ironing surface and when I have to iron large pieces, I set the ironing board up in the dining room where I can watch my taped shows and still iron - it goes much faster that way. Good luck with your new sewing room, even if it is much smaller than your husband's room. Enjoy every minute you spend in there.