Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need queen size pattern with different size blocks to personalize >
  • Need queen size pattern with different size blocks to personalize

• Need queen size pattern with different size blocks to personalize

Old 08-13-2014, 08:00 AM

Question Need queen size pattern with different size blocks to personalize

HI!
    I have been unable to find a pattern that is queen size and has different sizes of blocks, similar to this one:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/64105994671086259/
    I believe this one only ends up at 42" across but queen would be normally 90. Does anyone have a pattern similar that I can embroider or personalize the squares (would also be nice if it had a pattern in between the larger squares to tie it all together).
    Thanks so much!!
    Niki
    Old 08-13-2014, 08:55 AM
    Power Poster

Why not just double that pattern? I.E. Make 4 of the inner square part (leave off the border section), assemble as in the diagram and rotate each one when joining. Add the pieced border all the way aroung It would wind up at around 80", then add a solid border.
    Old 08-13-2014, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Why not just double that pattern? I.E. Make 4 of the inner square part (leave off the border section), assemble as in the diagram and rotate each one when joining. Add the pieced border all the way aroung It would wind up at around 80", then add a solid border.
    I agree with PaperPrincess. Sounds like a plan to me!
    Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess

I thought about that, but don't trust myself to "get it right". lol. Somehow I just know without seeing a diagram like this, I would end up with something catastrophic. Trying to figure that out in my head though......
    Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM

And it looks as if the length would still only be 48", is that correct? I guess I am not understanding where to put these extra squares in
    Old 08-13-2014, 12:29 PM

Why not just double the size of each block and alternate them with solid color blocks that you could embroider in. Use a floral or geometric print for half of the blocks and use solids on the other half, so the embroidery will show up. If you really wanted to personalize it or a particular person you might do a photo transfer of that person or things related to them in some of the blocks.
    Old 08-14-2014, 05:48 AM

I'd double this one. Also the BQ and B Q2 patterns on this site look neat with big blocks. http://www.mapleislandquilts.com/quiltpatterns.asp. Browsing through a few others looked like they might work if they gave queen sizing,
    yellow brick road from Atkinson designs or turning twenty may work. I know some quilt friends did turning twenty just to show off their quilting
    Old 08-14-2014, 05:50 AM

Think u would make the top 4 x. 2 across would give the width then 2 more below to add length
    Old 08-14-2014, 12:04 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by NikiWalker
    And it looks as if the length would still only be 48", is that correct? I guess I am not understanding where to put these extra squares in
    You aren't putting in any extra blocks exactly. To double the size, you really need to make 4. You would make 4 of the quilt centers EXACTLY like the diagram. Sew them separately, again, like you are making 4 separate quilts. Now sew these 4 together, like a 4 patch. 2 up and 2 down. To make it interesting, turn a couple of them 90, or 180 degrees. then add the border.
    Old 08-15-2014, 06:09 AM

Thought this posted but didn't see it
    warm wishes has squares..2 different squares. Did this pattern for a friends baby shower quilt. Guests wrote or drew on the blue squares then I put them in the qullt,

quilterscache,com has a block called scots plaid that has 6 inch square in each block, comes up with music so be warned if you're at work!

this pattern is scrappy but no room for big embroidery. Byannie.com has wickedly easy quilts under free patterns link. Look on left side bar near bottom. Under free patterns it's about 5 down