Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • NEED SAGE ADVICE FOR HOW TO PUT A QUILT TOGETHER >
  • NEED SAGE ADVICE FOR HOW TO PUT A QUILT TOGETHER

• NEED SAGE ADVICE FOR HOW TO PUT A QUILT TOGETHER

Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Hi everyone - my name is Terry, and I have been reading your daily forum for quite some time, and now seem almost addicted to it. Each time I have a look at it, I learn something valuable (I am definitely a newbie). I read a post about a 4 hour quilt, and had a look. http://www.quiltfrog.com/fourhour.html and this seemed to fill the bill for a gift for my sister's 30th wedding anniversary, and I thought I could manage it quite well. I cut the fabric and made the HSTs. And now I am getting ready to put the top together, but I can't find directions on how to start. So, I printed a picture off the web site and started to lay out the blocks from the top left hand corner across - row by row. But then, I thought that perhaps it should be quilted from the center out. Can someone please let me know the correct way to do this? I have attached a picture of the quilt top from the web site. Many thanks!
    - Terry

4 hour quilt
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]194215[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-194209.jpe  
    Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 AM

I am new to quilting also, but somewhere I read/heard that starting in the middle is best. Please don't accept this as expert advice since I am newer than you it seems. I read a lot on the quilting board too. It's fun and I learn good tips.
    Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Hello,
    What a great gift for your sister! Just sew it together in rows. One row at a time. When it is time to quilt the layers (top, batting, backing) together, then it is best to start in the center.
    Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 AM
    Power Poster

Can't tell for sure, but it looks like you've sewn the whole top together already and are ready to make the 'sandwich' and quilt. You need to secure the 3 layers together first, making sure that the backing fabric is taut. Then use safety pins or spray adhesive to keep the layers together. If you pin, you need to start from the center. Do a search on this board for 'sandwich' to get you started. After the 3 layers are secured, it's a good idea to start quilting from the center.
    Old 05-07-2011, 12:02 PM

Hope this helps you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw
    Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    Hello,
    What a great gift for your sister! Just sew it together in rows. One row at a time. When it is time to quilt the layers (top, batting, backing) together, then it is best to start in the center.
    Hi Terrie, Welcome to the Quiltingboard. I looked at the link you were inspired by and agree with JenniePenny. You note you have made your half square triangles. I expect that to mean you have made your half square triangle 'blocks'.
    If you are asking what to do next: you will lay the blocks out to form the pattern you want in the quilt top. It sounds as if you have done that.
    Next you will seam all the blocks in column 1 into a strip. Do so with all your columns. I work in columns (top to bottom). You mention sewing the blocks into rows (left to right) and that would work just fine to.
    Once you have sewn your strips, lay them out again to be sure you kept the pattern you want in your quilt top. If it looks like you want it to then you are ready to seam column (or row) 1 to column (or row) 2. Press your seam. Seam column (or row) 3 to column 2. Press your seam. Keep adding strips until you have completed the quilt top.
    I am making my 2nd Bargello. Instructions say to start stitching the seam on the fist column at the top, start stitching the seam on the second coulmn from the bottom, the 3rd column from the top, the 4th column from the bottom, etc. This helps prevent the waving motion we sometimes see in our seams as the quilt top is coming together.
    Quilting the top means putting down the backing, batting in the middle and quilt top on the top creating a 'sandwich'. When quilting the sandwich it is recommended to start in the center and quilt out.
    I hope we addressed your question. If we did not please let us know.
    Old 05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
    Power Poster

Row by row is exactly how most people (including me!) would do it.
    Old 05-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks to everyone here!!!WOW - I didn't realize I would get answers so quickly - I really appreciate it. I will take your advice and put the squares together in rows and then join them by sewing so I don't create waves. Thanks again to all!!
    Terry
    Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Hello from Western Mountain Maryland !! :-D
    Please post pictures when you get a chase, we love pictures at any stage of work !! :-D