Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need some encouragement >
  • Need some encouragement

• Need some encouragement

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM

I cut out the very first shirt I bought. So far so good. Here's a picture of it sitting on the unpressed border and sashing fabric (its called "Road Trip" by Kathy Brown of The Teacher's Pet---I couldn't get the black crackle fabric I wanted so I settled for this and now that I've seen it against the t-shirt square I think it will work...I think).

[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/DSC00498.jpg[/IMG]
    Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM
    Power Poster

Looking good...fabric for the sashings and border definitely works.
    Old 12-15-2010, 07:39 PM

I have never done one either, but I do remember hearing someone on this board say to press the interfacing on before y ou cut... if that makes sense. Good Luck! Post photo when done.
    Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 PM

I have five shirts down. Three more to go---one has interfacing and just needs to be cut square. I find it easier to cut out the front by cutting along the sides of the shirt and up to the sleeve and collar seams and then put on the interfacing and then cut out the square. I had a bit of trouble ironing and pressing the shirts and getting them wrinkle free (ever end up making more wrinkles with your iron?) so if I just cut out the general piece I needed I could iron that flat and then put the interfacing on. So far so good.

I think I'll get interfacing one of the two remaining shirts and call it a night. One shirt is double sided and that might take a little more precision with the generalized cutting so I'll leave that alone until tomorrow. With the other shirts I could cut more towards the back if I worried I was going to cut into the space I wanted, but I can't with the Paul Grey shirt (in case you're wondering, Paul Grey was the bassist and died earlier this year...I got something a little more special in mind for that shirt so I don't want to mess it up.)
    Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Are you pressing with steam? If you are, try turning it off. Your wrinkle problem may be an issue of too much heat.

When I've worked with t-shirts in the past (I haven't done this type quilt though) I used a paper bag or piece of cardboard inside the shirt to give it some "stabilizing". My SIL has made many of these type things and her solution was to cut out the "important part of the shirt and applique onto a foundation.

It sounds like you're doing really well. Your fabric choice looks good. Have faith in yourself.
    Old 12-15-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
    Are you pressing with steam? If you are, try turning it off. Your wrinkle problem may be an issue of too much heat.

When I've worked with t-shirts in the past (I haven't done this type quilt though) I used a paper bag or piece of cardboard inside the shirt to give it some "stabilizing". My SIL has made many of these type things and her solution was to cut out the "important part of the shirt and applique onto a foundation.

It sounds like you're doing really well. Your fabric choice looks good. Have faith in yourself.
    I didn't have the steam on when I was trying to press the shirt before doing any cutting. It just wasn't working for me. I ended up making more creases with my iron (I think the wrinkles on the back of the shirt weren't helping) and the sides kept wanting to "twist" so either way I couldn't get it to lie flat and completely wrinkle free. So I just cut out the important part of the shirt and then ironed it out. Seemed to work better that way. I did use the steam then because it not only got the wrinkles out but it also helped the cut edges from curling up.
    Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 PM

But.... OF COURSE YOU CAN DO IT!!! One snip at a time! Now ... Grab your scissors, Step up to the cutting table. Place your fabric.. and start at it... Flying ,,, never knew you to pass up a challenge. Go for it girl. You have this in the bag!
    Old 12-16-2010, 04:20 AM
    Power Poster

Hope its going well. Good luck!
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 AM

It will be okay. After the first one or two, you'll gain a little confidence. Back your ears and cut.
    Old 12-16-2010, 05:33 AM

The secret to t-shirt quilts is to iron on the fusible interfacing FIRST, before you cut. That takes care of the stretching problems. I made one for my stepson. I went to the local glass shop and asked them to cut me a 16" piece of plexiglass, they did, no problem (cheap too). I laid the template on the interfaced t-shirt and zip-zap I had nice squares, all the same size. I did sash them but only because I thought it needed color.