Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need some ideas >
  • Need some ideas

• Need some ideas

Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 AM

I've been working on my husband a Harley Davidson/motorcyle quilt that I designed myself. I've changed it several times, LOL, as I've worked and now he wants it bigger!

It was supposed to be "throw" sized and he was ok with that until he actually seen how small it was turning out. Now he wants it bigger. I hadn't sewn the borders on yet, so thats a plus.

I can't post pics right now, it would really help if I could, but I can't.

In the center it has a 24 inch block with the Harley Davidson symbol appliqued on it and a one inch border around that. Next is a row of 8 inch four patch blocks all the way around the center square, then a 2 inch border around that.

Now, that's where I'm at. I had planned to next add an 8 inch border with fussy cut motorcyle blocks set on point the center of each and in the corners.

So, here's what I'm thinking. Add another row of blocks all the way around and THEN the original border with the fussy cut blocks. Problem is, I don't have anymore of the material used in the four patch blocks. You actually can't get Harley Davidson material, I bought that off ebay, and its a sheet cut up(which I really don't want to do again, but that's another story!). I used that, a white, and an orange in the 4 patch blocks. I do have the white and orange left.

I'm thinking of doing these type blocks:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/atta...s-100_0721.jpg

in black and white. Or should I just do another wide border-type strips?

I'm thinking the blocks would be better because that way I'd have the center block, then row of pieced blocks, a border, row of pieced blocks, etc.
    Old 08-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Let me see if I can take a pic with the webcam to at least give you an idea......BRB
    Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 AM

I think you've already figured out the solution to the problem to make your DH's quilt larger. That sounds like a fantastic plan.
    Old 08-02-2010, 07:41 AM

Do you have pictures of DH that you could print on fabric in some of those star blocks? That would make it personal and very special to him. Or you could take a picture of your center block and print it on fabric to put in the center of some of those stars. (As you can tell, right now I'm into printing on fabric).
    Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 AM
    Power Poster

I like the thought of continuing with the pattern if blocks and then border :thumbup:

Can you get some of the printable fabric sheets and print your own Harley design on them ? Or another design and alternate then with another color ?
    Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM
    Power Poster

I like the pinwheels you may be using. I would have just gone with another border. Your idea is much better.
    Old 08-02-2010, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

I really, really wish that Harley Davidson would come out with some fabric. I wonder why they don't?

I guess I'm going with the pinwheels. If I don't like them when I'm done, I can always do something else, LOL!

That's the great thing about quilting, you can always make a new one, or change the one you have!
    Old 08-02-2010, 08:51 PM

I hope you can post pics of your creation. My DH is into Harleys too and after we get settled from our move, that is on my ever growing list of projects to do!

I would guess that HD doesn't print fabric because they would lose control over licensing. They are very stringent on who gets to make "authentic HD clothing". I was going to buy a sheet too (they had them in the kids bedding at Wally World) but when I saw what they wanted for it I quickly changed my mind.
    Old 08-03-2010, 02:24 PM

ok another idea for a border if you need another border, how about black and double yellow gold lines (like on the highways) double lines for no passing and then broken lines for passing and they can wind around to the right and left as roads do, they can be made of bias strips. Just make your highwAY.??you could even have stop, yeild, RRxing, what ever signs along the waY. jUST AN IDEA.