Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need suggestions for last hristmas quilt >
  • Need suggestions for last hristmas quilt

• Need suggestions for last hristmas quilt

Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 AM

Default Need suggestions for last hristmas quilt

No, not a red and green quilt. This year I am making quilts for the grown children. Last year was the grandchildren. I truly feel brain dead but want to at least get started in Sept with settling on a pattern and purchasing the fabric. This is the last one and she said she love the "Weeping Willow" china pattern. Wow!! I thought easy-peasy! NOT. Has anyone seen a line, where I can get pre-cuts?? I usually don't go for pre-cuts as I don't always like all the colors. But if it is blue and white I should be OK. If we get that far, any suggestions for a pattern?? I would say I am a confident beginner! Help!
    Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Harts, missorie star and fat quarters all these have loads of precuts to select from.
    Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 AM

Definitely Fat Quarter Shop. They sell tons of precuts!!
    Old 08-25-2013, 11:00 AM

An easy pattern that would look great in blues and whites is Yellow Brick Road. You only need 12 fat quarters to make a decent lap size quilt. More if you want a larger quilt. But it is easy to cut and easy to piece. I love Weeping Willow china pattern too. I have since I was a little girl. A blue and white quilt is on my bucket list. Should be easy to find enough blue and white fabrics to do whatever you want. Have fun looking for them and show us a photo when it's done!
    Old 08-25-2013, 01:20 PM

Do you do embroidery? What about a blue and white Irish Chain with the connecting blocks embroidered with the Weeping Willow pattern?
    Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM
    Power Poster

how about log cabin. after making over 300 quilts, I did one, so easy peasy and looks great in any set.
    Old 08-25-2013, 02:16 PM

Well, I am in the process of making a quilt that might "fit the bill." It is similar to a Yellow Brick road, but it is made from a layer cake. The pattern is the Two Slice Layer Cake, and you can find it on Missouri Star Quilt tutorials. It is a VERY easy pattern. Just watch the video once and you will know how to do it.

I am making mine from a layer cake (42 ten inch squares of fabric from one line of a designer....in case you didn't know what one was....I just recently learned. ) that is entirely blue and white. The colors range from a light blue to dark and are just beautiful!!

I found this layer cake online several places, but here is one. It is by Moda and says Spa Deb Strain #19580LC.

http://www.overrainbow.com/cgi-bin/S...es=0&lastmenu=

Here is a picture of where my quilt is, at the moment. I am going to be really pleased with it. Wish I was finished so you could get a better feel for it, but I have added a small white border and will put a larger medium blue on as the other border. Okay...so here are two pictures. You will need to turn your head sideways to see the second one well, but I thought the fabrics might show up better on it. I took that picture before I had sewn the blocks together. I was just figuring out the order I wanted them in.

Maybe this will give you an idea that works for you?

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails s8001491.jpg   s8001490.jpg  

Last edited by Dina; 08-25-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: additional info
    Old 08-25-2013, 03:22 PM

And Connecting Threads has a collection of blue and white fabric that they called Symphony in Blue. It was beautiful. I don't know if they still have it or not though.

Dina
    Old 08-25-2013, 05:55 PM

Missouri Star Quilt Company has a large selection of pre-cuts. Good luck in your search!
    Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 AM

Okay, just in case....here is the quilt top with the borders on. The blues aren't quite true, pretend the outer border is the same as one of the fabrics in the quilt, because it is. It might be the look you are after.

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails s8001493.jpg