Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need suggestions on my 'ugly' quilt... please. >
  • Need suggestions on my 'ugly' quilt... please.

• Need suggestions on my 'ugly' quilt... please.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by DebbE
    I'd remove the green border as it is a bit jarring when viewed as part of the quilt - the narrow blue one and floral one are both great, though. I'd just bind the quilt with the floral. Lovely quilt!
    I agree. I don't like the green border and it looks complete with the floral border.
    Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 AM

I would like it better with a pale blue or even better a yellow border, love yellow, green is too dark/wrong shade. Being an army wife for 20 years anything close to army green I do not like anyway, too many uniforms washed and Ironed I guess, and they were a bear to iron in late 80's early 90's. Otherwise very pretty and love the blues and yellows.
    Carol
    Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM

I love it just the way it is. I wouldn't change a thing!
    Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 AM

I think that the quilt and its blue/floral borders are great, but the green one is distracting, at least in the picture
    Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 AM

If this is the ugliest quilt you've made, you're doing pretty good! If you framed the center in yellow instead of the small flower around the blocks, they would look like the pinwheels are floating, which might be kind of cool. Otherwise, I'd put a small solid border around the center to break the pattern before the other borders. I think what's happening with the small print is that it's the same as what's in the blocks, so t looks like the blocks are "leaking" into the border. I think changing this border will help a lot. But other than that, I think it's fine!
    Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    until i saw ranchwife's post, i didn't notice the green border on the outside. i think it's the problem. if the size is OK without it, i'd just take it off.
    I agree. The green is jarring after the pretty blues and yellows. I think replacing anything further in than that is too much work. Do you have a darker blue for the binding? Or you could match the wide floral so the binding would blend in.
    Old 02-08-2013, 08:04 AM

I agree the dark green needs to come off. Also a narrow solid around the center blocks would stop the eye, giving a place for the eyes to rest. Then add the blue floral or some yellow. Remember, every time you add a border you must measure through the center of the quilt, including any borders you have added, and cut the border that size. Do this both ways on the quilt, sides and top/bottom. The border is to fit the quilt, not the other way around. Notice the fullness in the green border. Every border added without measuring and fitting adds fullness to the outside of the quilt. This makes a happy quilt with all the borders waving at each other. Also add the borders with the quilt on the down side next to the feed dogs to work any fullness on the edges of the piece work.
    Can you tell I am a long arm quilter and have seen up to six inches added to the outside of the quilt when many borders are added and added, just laying the border on the bed of the machine, sewing it on, and lopping off any extra border. You have a beautiful quilt and it well worth the effort to correct.

Lu in TN
    Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM

What ranch wife said???
    Old 02-08-2013, 09:04 AM

Ditto on seeing the green border; I completely overlooked it. So, I would remove it and bind it with the blue.
    Old 02-08-2013, 09:46 AM

I love the quilt just the way it is and NO it is not UGLY.
    eunice