Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair >
  • Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair

• Need Suggestions for a New Quilting Chair

Old 02-10-2017, 10:50 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks everyone. I use my husband's old wheelchair because it has big wheels that don't collect thread. But it is sadly dying and I will have to give it up some time in the near future. I'm not very good at being neat and tidy. I'm too impatient. LOL

I like the sound of the Arrow chair just not sure about the rollers on any of them.

I appreciate all of your answers. If I'm going to buy a chair I want to put some thought into it.

I have a small area rug under my chair because our floor is cement and gets really cold in the winter. So I need something that will roll well on this carpet. I'm assuming any office chair will roll well tho.
    So my real concern is the thread in the rollers and back support for me.

I'm not getting one rt away but I do want to look at a few.

Thanks for all the help everyone
    Old 02-10-2017, 12:45 PM

I use an office chair I got at home depot. Adjustable back and height, on rollers, and I got one without arm rests. Works great.
    Old 02-10-2017, 12:47 PM

if you have a senior center check there as they often will loan out things and they may have what you need and no cost. at least here
    Old 02-10-2017, 02:06 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I have Sewergo by Reliable. No wheels.
    Old 02-10-2017, 03:37 PM

I have an office chair and really like it. I never have thread get tangled in the wheels. In almost 20 years with this one chair, I've never had to take threads out of the wheels. I do keep a little box next to my machine that I put the threads in when I clip them but other than that I just vacuum in there once in a while and don't have a problem.
    Old 02-10-2017, 04:08 PM

Well, I'm going to 'fess up and admit to buying a Heavenly Seating chair. I LOVE it - as much as my Bernina (that I bought 20 years ago - still sews like the day it came home with me). Yes, it was pricey, but it is ergonomically designed for hours of sitting, and has a lifetime warranty.

I did get the extra length cylinder (although not the longest, which raises as high as a drafting table). This allows me to sew/sit at different tables, one of which is a couple of inches higher than a regular office type chair allows. The pneumatic lift in most task chairs will eventually lose its charge, meaning that when the seat is raised, it won't stay up. At the school where I work, I order several each year to replace teacher chairs that are no longer adjustable because of this.
    Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 PM

Rhonda---I use an office chair without arms--go to an office supply store and try out several and do take your tape measure so you know it's going to work with your table. As far as rolling, they do not do as well on carpet or rugs (know from our computer set up) so I suggest you get a office chair board as mentioned, or go to the local Home Depot type store and see if they have any scraps of laminate flooring--that's what I use. It will get your feet off the concrete and still allow the chair to roll. I never have to get threads out of the wheels of either my sewing chair or my drafting stool at the LA--both have wheels that are balls and I'm not neat, so plenty of threads on the floor.
    Old 02-10-2017, 09:54 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Tartan
    I went to Staples and tried out their office chairs. I figured if they are good for back support for sitting hours in an office, they would work for me. Make use to bring a tape measure and the tape so you know your knees will sit comfortably under your table.
    I did the same thing and bought one that was on sale for less than $60 -- a LOT less than that ARROW chair!
    Then I bought a sheet of 4 ft x 6 ft plywood, painted it, and use that in place of the more expensive office floor mat. Works quite well for my 84" long sewing table.
    Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks for all the input everyone. You have given me some things to think about.

I'm used to having arms on my chair but I could probably get used to not having them. My rug is an indoor outdoor rug that is very low tufted. But I would keep in mind replacing it if need be with a smoother surface. I just do not want to be cutting threads out of the rollers. and I know me when I am working - like Eleanor Burns it all goes over the shoulder on the floor til later. LOL I am too impatient to do any sorting while I am working. impatient or careless. I am usually very tunnel vision and what I am working on is all I see. I just shove everything out of my way and sort it all out later when I am not working.

I really appreciate all of you helping me figure out what I want to get. Thanks so much!
    Old 02-11-2017, 02:44 AM

If you live near a Container Store, check out the bungee chairs. A friend had one at a retreat and it was the best sitting chair I have ever sat in. I got one and am waiting for a sale to get another one. They do go on sale occasionally from the $149.00 price. The bungee cords are strong, firm and the shape of the back is perfect. I have the armless one in raspberry pink and absolutely love it.
    here is a link
    https://www.containerstore.com/s?source=form&q=bungee+chair&submit=