Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • need suggestions regarding our guild boutique >
  • need suggestions regarding our guild boutique

• need suggestions regarding our guild boutique

Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 PM

These are good tips that I plan to share with the chair of our quilt show.
    Old 04-19-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by jemma
    i am sorry but i have very strong feeling about this issue----please accept with grace all you are offered----they are a gift---everyone starts some where---some never progress but as adults we need to be accepting + nurturing--your idears of sit and sew are a great idear-----you can tell when things are being dumped on you or given with love---ihave heard rumors of quilts donated to the queensland floods being dumped as not up to standard i do hope this is just a rumore
    Agree! What if it were you who was being told, yours isn't good enough?
    I understand, but what is more important certain people feeling theirs is the only ones good enough or making others feel theirs is not good enough?
    Remember, watch VERY carefully how things are said and done, b/c once it's out there, there's no taking it back!!!!...
    Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 PM

Some people would rather have something made with love, instead of perfection.
    Old 04-20-2011, 04:42 AM

A lot of quilters will look at something that has been made and think "What a great idea. I can do that." That being said who among us does not gravitate toward a table full of miscellaneous quilting items. What one quilter doesn't need or want may be just what someone else is looking for. Maride's suggestion about separating the items seems perfect to me.

mltquilt
    Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 AM

I am cofounder of our local quilt guild. We do not expect perfection. We are here to enjoy, to teach, to inspire. We have been going for 25 years and there is no end in sight. So many new things to learn, new fabrics to enjoy, new ways to do things better or even faster. Until last year we did a quilt show every summer for the community and it was free. Our fundraiser was the boutique or a raffle quilt. Our members who did the show were simply not able to carry on and it became expensive to put it on and rent a place to hold the show. We donate lots of finished quilts to the local hospital for premature babies, to the local homeless shelter, to Rape and Domestic Abuse. We make cancer hats and donate them. Members bring fabrics they are not going to use and anyone who wants them can have them free. There are often giveaway patterns and books and magazines. Anyone in our group can quilt even if they have a limited budget because of the generosity of others. It has been a real joy, a social outlet, an opportunity to give back to our community, and lots of opportunities to learn. Boutiques offer a chance to try new things, to make small projects that take only a little time, to offer the public our wares so that they can give handmade gifts to their families and friends.
    Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
    If you still want to use donated ready made items, have the person donating, put a price on them and pick them up after the show if they don't sell. That way no ones feelings get hurt and hopefully they take their less than perfect items back home.
    I like this idea. That way, the person who donates the item can learn whether their work is as valuable as they think it is.
    Old 04-20-2011, 05:07 AM

One guild I know of had 2 different sale areas. One was for "white elephant" type things, - used quilting books, notions, older machines, etc. The other was for finished items that members made and priced themselves. A percentage of the sale went to the guild and a percentage to the maker. What didn't sell went back to the maker.
    Another had an auction of small quilts,- wall quilts, table runners, art quilts, table toppers, etc. This made the most money. One of the member's son was an auctioneer and donated his time. It was a fun event of the show.
    Old 04-20-2011, 05:21 AM

I sold potholders with matching towels.The towels i cut in half and made a quilted topper with ties or loops.I think those oven dresses would be nice.Try those Snap Bags,small zipper bags.Connie in CO
    Old 04-20-2011, 05:30 AM

At one of our local guild's last quilt show they made chickens similar to Connie in CO's avatar and filled them with fabric scraps. They sold like hot cakes!! If you have the room, I would have both a boutique and a rummage area - one person's trash is another's treasure. It's really hard to make really nice things and keep them inexpensive enough to be impulse purchases.
    Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 AM

I made scissor cases and needle cases on the embroidery machine and they went very well...not everyone, even a quilter, does embroidery. I bought crane scissors on ebay and included them with each holder. Didn't bring any home LOL...