Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need Suggestions for Sashing >
  • Need Suggestions for Sashing

• Need Suggestions for Sashing

Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 AM
    Power Poster

The light aqua fabric you are thinking about using for a sashing - the design seems "frail" compared to the "strong" prints in the blocks - IMO

Working with a variety of blocks like you have has always been extremely challenging for me.

I actually liked the look of them laid out on the first picture with a cream or light background so the blocks would stand out. I like to use cornerstones when using sashing - I think it is easier to get things lined up when using them.
    Old 05-14-2015, 07:24 AM

Beautiful blocks and I was going to suggest maybe using a cream color for the sashing but I really like what you have chosen.
    Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 AM

How does the amount of variance determine what my plan of action is? <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f5d9030d/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Old 05-14-2015, 12:37 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by baronreads
    How does the amount of variance determine what my plan of action is? <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f5d9030d/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    For examples:

If the blocks are from 12.25 to 12.75 inches - I would cut sashing strips 12.50 inches and ease in the sashing to the short blocks and ease in the bigger blocks to the sashing.

I prefer to work with less variance - but on a 12 inch finished size - 1/4 inch is more or less manageable - unless working with batiks. Batiks are less cooperative.

If the variance is over 1/2 inch from the "expected" size - then you might consider framing the blocks to make them all the same size - and then put sashing between the frames.

Or you could trim them to all the same size - or redo the smallest block to try to make it bigger.

First time I did a block exchange - it did not occur to me to measure them all before trying to put them together!
    Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM

Thanks, this was very helpful!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f5d9030d/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>
    Old 05-15-2015, 03:50 AM

Back to the drawing board! I can't find the fabric ANYWHERE! There was some on Etsy and it was sold the day before I inquired about it! I guess it wasn't meant to be. I may need to make a trip to the LQS. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/f5d9030d/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>