Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need tips to keep my needle from getting glue on it >
  • Need tips to keep my needle from getting glue on it

• Need tips to keep my needle from getting glue on it

Old 01-20-2022, 09:11 AM

We have so many more options now. For those that use Warm and Natural type batting, glue basting with elmer's glue is probably the way to go. For me and my fluffy poly batts, I like the spray baste and less quilting than is currently popular. There is also iron on batting that some people adore!

I've tried the different brands and I use the June Tailor too. Mostly I get what is on sale... Again, pretty much all of us start with too much spray and I most certainly did! I've had to let quilts sit for up to two weeks before enough spray dissipated. Once the moisture is gone, what remains will help hold your sandwich together for a significant amount of time, you don't have to worry about so much evaporating that it won't all hold together. BTW, I typically do put in just a couple of safety pins, like 4-10, one in each corner and a couple in the middle mostly to help the ends from flapping back or creases forming until I get the areas stabilized with a bit of quilting.

For best results, spray lightly from about a foot above in long strokes -- for me that is basically the length of my forearm. I have to spray in sections, I only spray about a 12-18" width across whatever direction I'm going.

Protect your surfaces, I use a roll of brown kraft paper but I've used old sheets before too. I lay everything down (right side down, working on the back) and smooth it out as much as I can. If you have access to a large table(s), I really like having the height as opposed to being on the floor. I start out by laying out and smoothing and securing the backing first. On the floor I use canned goods or other weights, blue painters tape on solid surfaces is awesome, the big diaper pin sized safety pins can stab down into a carpet too. Last year I finally got my cherished (free) folding ping pong tables for quilt layout. When I was working and pre-covid I had access to meeting and lunch rooms and other places with tables. For the last couple of years my largest work space has been on top of my queen sized bed and while not ideal at all, I can make that work too.

Here's the big thing -- turn it over and go over the showing side of the backing, easing out any wrinkles and making it smooth -- it will both help the overall project and make it easier then to layout the top and get it nice. I joke about my little alligator arms, they are within normal range but I just don't have much reach -- I will use my 6x24" ruler like a big squeegee to help my reach out!
    Old 01-20-2022, 06:42 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I second everything Iceblossom says. And have an addition. I iron my sprayed sandwich, once from the front and once from the back. That way, you can literally push any of the small wrinkles out to the edges. And it helps the spray baste dry. Works for me.
    Old 01-20-2022, 09:55 PM
    Power Poster

See if you can get ahold of some alcohol preps, (or put some rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball). You will find the stickiness collects on the needle, so wipe it down every so often.
    If you used a lot of spray, let it air dry for a day or two. It only takes very little of the spray to hold the quilt together.