Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • need to vent >
  • need to vent

• need to vent

Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM

I scheduled a class one time at a local quilt shop. When I went to the class (which is 15+ miles away) I was told that not enough people had signed up and the class was cancelled. No one called to tell any of those who had scheduled that there would be no class. I have never signed up again and most likely will not sign up in the future. Waste of gas money if nothing else.
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Summer Spice
    $3.58 a gallon gas would make me want to vent to....
    Ummm, $4.11 here... (CA)
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 AM

I bet she is the type of person to be the first to B*&CH if she is not given the attention she think she deserves too.
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 AM

It would make me want to vent with the gals here too; after loading up everything in the vehicle, gas, time waiting-the older I get the more valuable every minute is to me. How COULD she forget is what I would be asking. This is her business, for Lord's sake! I hope you have other alternatives as far as future classes go.
    Old 04-07-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
    Customer service seems to becoming a thing of the past here lately. People have no honor and pride in what they do...and I'm running into it across the board. Its very discouraging at times.
    They need to rethink their attitudes. The online quilt shops I have shopped with have been VERY helpful, and very willing to refund, make good if an item was missed, etc. The stores are closing even in Fla. where there's a quilt group on every corner to buy from them. I think the reason is just what you said.
    Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
    Power Poster

Stuff happens.

It was a disappointing thing that your instructor goofed up.

You can always try to be "compensated" for your time by asking for another class or getting a refund.

However, if that's the worst thing that has happened to you recently, life is still good.
    Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
    Customer service seems to becoming a thing of the past here lately. People have no honor and pride in what they do...and I'm running into it across the board. Its very discouraging at times.
    I hope not on this "board" ;).
    Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Is wondering why didn't she write it down when she made the class....then she wouldn't had forgotten, maybe being late to her shop has happen more than one time, and maybe thats why her business is going down road...

Things that make you go hmmmmmm!
    Old 04-07-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland
    Ok, you gave it a second chance, which was very generous of you considering your first experience. I would have led a revolt half way through the first class.

Since she's trying to do these classes herself, and had no one watching her shop during the first class, she's probably trying to keep her head above water by fulfilling the roll of shop keeper and teacher at the same time, but taking your money and giving you partial time and hit and miss instruction is a crime!!

I'd ask for my money back. I'd tell her I had the time for when the class was originally scheduled and I was there, unfortunately I'm unable to make your rescheduled class time so please refund my money. If she refuses and you end up taking the rescheduled class and you get the same partial time and hit and miss instruction, I would be noisy about it during the class and I bet others would be as well.
    I would personally ask for a refund of the missed class, based your first "interrupted teaching experience" with her. Unless of course you really need/want the class & there are no alternatives for you. Otherwise I would do as suggested above; & recommend to the teacher perhaps the class could be offered when the store is CLOSED & the phone is on "answer mode". Since she's paying the rent, it won't cost her more to have the class before/after store hours. Perhaps she could hang up a big sign in her window "next class: date & time" so SHE won't miss it! Just my 2 cents
    Old 04-07-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by sunrise450
    I so agree and so embarrasing. I even forget names. I will be introducing or even speaking to someone (family included) and when I get to the name, I draw a blank.
    I too have this experience often lately, so don't even dream of going back to professional work...just quilting through the "haze". Thankfully I do charity quilts, so find I am still "useful", which gives me joy.