Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting >
  • Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting

• Need your advice...marking top for Handquilting

Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM

I have used Mark b gone. I don't draw the whole line...use dots very lightly about half in. apart, just to give me an idea where I should quilt.
    Old 02-21-2010, 08:02 PM

I use Crayola brand washable markers. They make a dark line and always wash out. I mark the whole quilt at once. When I used my big frame, I made the mistake of not basting first and ruined a quilt. So, be sure and baste very well. I also like the Clover marking tools in grey and white, and the water soluable pens. The purple pen fades too fast for me. I don't like the chalk, it rubs off faster than I can quilt. I don't use pencil because -even with a fabric eraser- I have had problems with it staying in.

Beautiful quilt, I bought fabric tonight that I think would look marvelous in that pattern. Is it one you can share?
    Old 02-21-2010, 08:07 PM

You may try to use a sliver of soap to mark too.
    Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM

I recently purchased a fabric marking pencil that looks and works like a typical mechanical pencil. It has several different lead colors, but I purchased the white lead along with it. I absolutely love it as it marks with a finer line and does not get a dull point that sometimes happens with other marking pencils. There are several different manufacturers, but I sent away for this one:

http://www.sewline-product.com/Sewline_Fabric_Pencil
    Old 02-21-2010, 09:09 PM
    Power Poster

I usually mark as much as I can quilt in an hour or so. I use ordinary chalk and it would rub off if I tried to do the entire thing.
    Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM

I would not recommend marking with pencil either. I usually mark with a water soluble marker pen which comes out easily with water. The other option is to use 1/4" quilting tape. This is like thin masking tape which is ideal for marking straight lines (usually 1/4" from the seam line) or you can use it for cross hatching.
    Good luck with it :)
    Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 AM

Leann, your quilt is beautiful. As for marking, I only hand quilt using a floor frame. I mark as I go. I use quilt marking chalk pencils because they will come out easily. Fons and Porter has a very nice pencil that makes a fine line. Also, if you have a repeat in a large area, there is a chalk spray that is wonderful. Sometimes if the quilt is in the frame a long time, which in my case is true, the marks will not last if the whole quilt is marked. I don't like the marking once, so I really don't want to have to do it over and over again. Good Luck, Pam
    Old 02-22-2010, 03:52 AM

I hand quilt. I use a Mark-b-gone pen. The blue side. It washed out when quilt is washed. I mark the whole quilt first and then quilt it. The purple end is disappearing ink.

Kyia
    Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 AM

I would never use a regular pencil. Years ago one of my guilds sent a raffle quilt out to the AMish to have it quilted. They also entered it in the State Fair. It did well there but the judges wrote a negative comment on it concerning the pencil markings that didn't come out.
    If I am doing a chain or other fancy pattern in the borders or anywhere else in a quilt I mark the whole thing before I make the sandwhich. I use the blue washout marker where it will show up best and the white washout on darker areas. For crosshatching I just use whatever widith of masking tape is necessary and do that as I quilt. If the pattern is small say less than 4 inches I might just mark it with the disappearing purple marker as I quilt.
    Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 AM
    Power Poster

Hi, I hand quilt in a frame, and I mark as I go. I like to use the Fons & Porter mechanical pencil for the dark areas, using the white lead. It is gone by the time I am finished quilting. and for the light areas, I use a blue mark be gone. I take a wet paper towel , and wet the blue as soon as I am finished quilting the area, because it takes so long to hand quilt. that way you are sure it is all gone, and it doesn't have time to set.
    I love your top!1 It is stunning!
    Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it.