Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need your help please on how to match these seams ... >
  • Need your help please on how to match these seams ...

• Need your help please on how to match these seams ...

Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 AM

How about making HSR's - kinda. That is break the design down into rectangles. Some will be the plain colors and some will be combined so that 1/2 is one color and 1/2 is another.

Take 2 rectangles same size, right sides together, mark a diagonal, sew 1/4" each side, cut, and press. You may want to play around with size on scrap fabric first to see what size you want the rectangles. You could use the graph paper to figure it out too.
    Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    How about making HSR's - kinda. That is break the design down into rectangles. Some will be the plain colors and some will be combined so that 1/2 is one color and 1/2 is another.

Take 2 rectangles same size, right sides together, mark a diagonal, sew 1/4" each side, cut, and press. You may want to play around with size on scrap fabric first to see what size you want the rectangles. You could use the graph paper to figure it out too.
    This would be how I would try it too.
    Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 AM

Mark 1/4" down on both seams all way along. Now find a pin and puch it through exactly on the seam, ie the thread. Take the pin and push through other fabric exactly where the seam thread is marked.
    I did find it easier with seams open on the lone star.
    Hope this helps.
    Old 03-20-2014, 06:03 AM

Have you tried the technique used in Paper Piecing? By drawing precise lines, you will know exactly where to place your Dark Diagonal pieces of cloth against the light vertical rows. You could first secure all your vertical stripes with a basting stitch so they won't move. Then, carefully draw your lines using a yardstick, then place your dark pieces in place. Snip the basting stitches where needed. Then, re-stitch all the vertical seams. Good luck, do give us a photo of your finished work! I'm subscribing to your thread, because I am interested in your results.
    Old 03-20-2014, 01:31 PM
    Power Poster

DogHouseMom is correct. I have done many bargello. First, I took drafting and your angle is not consistent in your drawing. What is your angle?? On row B there are 8 lengths then in Row D it is 5.5 but there was only 2 with your width between the blocks. I would keep it simple. Use a 45 degree angle. I would cut your strips and then I would snowball the corners. Then you are working with straight of grain. Then connect the strips together to form your design. Sew them into a tube. Cut your first one measuring 8.25" Include the side seam allowance) from the left side. Make the next one the finished width and use that as your mark. Don't forget your seam allowance. Once you got your measurement, everything should go correctly. Hope this helps. Good Luck !!
    Attached Thumbnails yelblue-center-front.jpg  
    Old 03-20-2014, 01:36 PM

I made a quilt similar to that and it was a disaster. Never again. Must say that I am geometry challenged...and it showed.
    Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 AM

I started quilting with Seminole piecing. Your problem reminded me of that approach to strip piecing. Hope my idea helps.

There are lots of approaches to solutions. The Seminole piecing books had solutions that made sense to a neophyte quilter/experienced garment maker. And were easy at the same time. See what you think. May ring a bell or two for you too. I hope so.

Just checked my library of books. The two that seem to be the most help are:

SIMPLY SEMINOLE Techniques and Designs in Quilt Making
    Dorothy Hanisko
    The Quilt Digest Press
    Lincolnwood, IL
    Copyright 1997

THE COMPLETE BOOK OF SEMINOLE PATCHWORK
    by Beverly Rush with Lassie Wittman
    Dover Publications, Inc.
    New York
    Copyright 1982

I suggest you start by looking at SIMPLY SEMINOLE. I found Section Two, The Catalog of Seminole Designs to be particularly helpful and CLEAR. Check out the STAIRSTEP BANDS part of the catalog.

Pictures of the finished project so we can ooooh and aaaaah?

Pat
    Old 03-21-2014, 07:14 AM

The suggestion of paper piecing it is a great one. Also, a geometry approach of having all of the angles the same is a good idea because once you get it done correctly it will always work. Another help might to be to use just a touch of a glue stick to the pieces until you get them just right. Then turn back the seam allowance and sew. If you use a light touch with the glue stick little problems just pop loose easily.
    Old 03-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Thanks for all the different ideas everyone! As noted, the above sketch is "similar" to what I am working on. I don't have any of the measurements or angles with me at work - Sorry! I do have the column seams apart and am going to try a couple of the suggestions this weekend and see what my options are then! Thanks again for all the input.
    Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 AM

If you cut digo ALS at 45* you are joining as in a lone star. No problem.