Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags >
  • Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

• Need your opinions-pricing Walker Bags

Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 PM
    Power Poster

Have you checked the prices in "assistive living device" catalogs?
    Or "independent living" devices?

Or even to see if they have walker bags?

That might give you an idea of what the "assembly line" bags are selling for.

Here's a site that has some:

http://www.walkerwonder.com/
    Old 07-31-2010, 08:03 PM
    Banned

I am not a senior or an old fart, I am 47 in August, and I use a walker. These bags are great, and sometime down the road I will make one for my walker, as I can not buy anything with out money. but if I could afford one, I would be willing to pay $20 or less. God bless. Penny
    Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 PM

You might get an idea of prices on ebay. They have several listed under "Walker Bags"
    Old 08-01-2010, 01:31 AM

I do love your bags (they are georgous and I love the colors) and you would do best trying to sell them at hospital gift shops and possibly medical supply stores. I like the idea about physical therapy (PT) locations. If you could get an "in" at one of these places and talk to the office staff for ideas or other PT location you might be able to make some money that way.

Different sizes are a good idea too. Have you though about making something a bit stronger than cotton fabric?

I went to this website http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/60in...oth/cat_3.html and they have 60 inch wide premium broadcloth for $2.29 per yard. Bad side is that they are only in solid colors. They also have some inexpensive quilting fabric as well.

I think you will need to keep your costs down if you want to make a profit at this. Try to do something unique. A lot of people in walkers are usually on a fixed income for one reason or another and will not be able to spend much money.

Have you thought about trying to sell your bags at a craft fair or something along those lines?

I guess it just depends on what you want to do, whether you want to try to make money from this, just want to benefit a small group of people, or whatever?

I don't know if this will help you or not. Good luck!
    Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 AM

I would not use LQS fabric for the project. If these are used by folks in assisted living, they may not be cared for by the recipient and just be tossed in with the regualr laundry. Unless you are a quilter you have no idea the cost of fabric, so most would just consider it overpriced, and you are selling up against folks who used WM fabric. It is more of a utilitarian item than decor, so I suggest less expensive materails.
    Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 PM

That is so sad to think how hard you work, do a nice job of it and can only get 5 pennies for it! My family , 9 of us, worked all our working years sewing for people and were always considered "not a real business"! What makes this so? If you do work on a sewing macine, is that less than an honorable job that should pay a living wage?Off my soap box now, I don't think $30 is too much. I've made quilts (queen size) hand quilted and tied ,the most I could ever get was $250 and had to give 25% of that to the shop where they were sold!I must say, also, they were beautiful!! :-( :-( :-(
    Old 08-01-2010, 02:02 PM

Good idea! Yes patterns and get them copyrighted. :) :-)
    Old 08-04-2010, 04:05 PM

Looks lovely, however, I would not buy one for much more than your expenses.
    But then, I know I could make one myself.
    Maybe someone who couldn't make one would place more value on it.
    Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
    Originally Posted by thseabreze
    I think $25.00 - $30.00 would be a good price for this. Those using a walker, would appreciate it alot more than we do, and for the price, I would pay up to $30.00 for someone I knew, that needed one.
    I agree. They would probably be purchased as gifts and if you could possibly get the home to put one on display you could sell them to visiting family members. I'll bet there are plenty of well dressed residents with families who can afford some extras.

A lot depends on the part of the country and the financial status...but think how much people pay for Vera Bradley bags!
    you make an excellent point !
    Old 08-06-2010, 11:03 AM

LESS EXPENSIVE FABRIC MAKE NOT LAST AND WHEN IT IS WASHED, WELL, IT MAY NOT LAST OR HOLD UP AS WELL.