Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Needles for Hand Quilters >
  • Needles for Hand Quilters

• Needles for Hand Quilters

Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 PM

I'm a firm believer in John James #11 quilting needles. Have used for years with good results
    Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 PM
    Power Poster

i'm one of those who pretty much never use the betweens===they are just too dog-gone tiny- i prefer a longer needle- i like sharps- sometimes i even use milner's (which are quite a bit longer)
    betweens are the (traditional) hand quilting needles- but not everyone likes using a needle that is less than an inch long- some of us like them longer- and it probably has a little to do with what you are taught with- since i started sewing garments- i was used to using longer larger needles when i started quilting. if you start sewing as a quilter you may learn to use the smaller ones- it is of course a personal choice & you can use what ever works for you- allowing you to accomplish what you want to accomplish.
    Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by teddysmom
    Is the Roxanne between needle #10 the same as any #10 needle?
    Any brand type and number will probably be similar - Example: A James #10 between needle will be similar to a Roxanne #10 between needle - even though there are probably subtle differences.

The same size needle in a different style will be different: A James #11 straw needle will be a lot longer than a James #11 between needle.

Maybe this will help you get the idea:

Think of a demitasse spoon, teaspoon, tablespoon/soup spoon, large serving spoon - they are all spoons, but come in different sizes.

The 'between' needle would be the demitasse spoon, the straw needle would be a teaspoon, needles for crewel work would be the soup spoon, a large canvas repair needle would be the large serving spoon.

Maybe this helped answer your question?
    Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Any brand type and number will probably be similar - Example: A James #10 between needle will be similar to a Roxanne #10 between needle - even though there are probably subtle differences.

The same size needle in a different style will be different: A James #11 straw needle will be a lot longer than a James #11 between needle.

Maybe this will help you get the idea:

Think of a demitasse spoon, teaspoon, tablespoon/soup spoon, large serving spoon - they are all spoons, but come in different sizes.

The 'between' needle would be the demitasse spoon, the straw needle would be a teaspoon, needles for crewel work would be the soup spoon, a large canvas repair needle would be the large serving spoon.

Maybe this helped answer your question?
    Thanks, that really put it in perspective. Think I'll probably go with the James Jones Miliner #10.