Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Never again!!! >
  • Never again!!!

• Never again!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt
    I only have one to do but it's been horrible. I took it to the quilter and when i got it back the back wasn't centered. You could see the back had to be centered so there was a border on all 4 sides, identical to the front. I had to take it back and she's wripping it all out and starting over. She assured me I'd have it back before Christmas. I can only hope. It's my son-in-laws big gift.
    How big is this quilt? I cannot imagine ripping out the quilting on an entire quilt, no matter how small. I've never hired a LAQ to finish a quilt. Do they come back to you untrimmed? In other words, the entire back piece is still intact, right?
    Old 12-07-2011, 04:48 AM

We live and learn. You CAN do it THIS year. Next year you will plan better, maybe.
    Old 12-07-2011, 04:56 AM

I did it last year but this year I'm not giving quilts to anyone.
    Old 12-07-2011, 05:02 AM

Been there and done that!!!
    tomilu
    Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 AM

Were you trying to teach yourself a lesson? If not, thanks for the word of warning to the rest of us. lol
    Old 12-07-2011, 05:21 AM

I just finished 4 quilts for my sister's granddaughters. She had planned on making the quilts herself, but was unable because of her illness. I was able to go and spend her last days with her and she gave me fabrics she was going to work with. There was not enough for all four quilt tops so I added some of my own. On the labels I said the quilts were made by me with some of the fabric from MawMaw Diane's fabric. I just finished sewing the labels on and they are ready to be mailed. Normally I would moan and groan about all I had to do, but this labor of love eased the anxiety of all there was yet to do.
    Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 AM

They will so love them!!!!!
    Old 12-07-2011, 06:03 AM

I too am in the same boat. I have 3 quilts that I need to finish by Christmas. I finished quilting one of them last night. All the tops are done. Want to get the next one ready to sandwich tomorrow. 2 are larger lap quilts and the 3rd one is 90"x90". I'm leaving that one til last because it's for my daughter on Christmas Day. The first 2 are for my MIL and SIL and we will exchange gifts the week before Christmas. Plus my kid won't care if i have to take it back to finish it. So the house is a wreck, no decorations up yet and no baking. What needs to get done will get done. I'm behind every year. At least once before I croak, I'd like to be totally organized and together! LOL
    Old 12-07-2011, 06:30 AM

Wish you were nearby...I would hook up my neat little Simplicity binder maker and we would shoot out yard after yard of binding in about 2 minutes. Then the trick...you may be of old school but if you are in a hurry, this is great. Stitch the binding to the quilt on the back side first, flip over and machine stitch to the front...you can even use a decorative stitch on the front...but takes longer. This makes a very strong quilt....i.e.; kids? So come on by, bring your fabric and I'll put on the coffee! Sometimes I think I work best under pressure...?
    Michelle
    Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore
    How big is this quilt? I cannot imagine ripping out the quilting on an entire quilt, no matter how small. I've never hired a LAQ to finish a quilt. Do they come back to you untrimmed? In other words, the entire back piece is still intact, right?
    The back is intact but I started trimming the edges from the front before I noticed instead of a 4 inch border on each end of the back, there was only 1 inch on one end and 7 on the other. (yes you have to trim the excess off the edges)
    She's going to have to remove all the stitching. take the 1 inch border off, add a wider border back on, and re-stitch. I'll still need to trim the excess when it comes back and add binding. She said I should have told her and I said you could see it should be centered. The front has a border all around and the back was made the same. It's a lap size and I payed $100 to have it quilted. This is the 2nd bad job I got from 2 different people. The other one had rows of waves and the one row wasn't spaced like the others and it ruined the whole quilt. For the expense I've about had it.