Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Never again!!! >
  • Never again!!!

• Never again!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 AM

I started in early October: made 5 sets of 4 placemets each, 3 quilted tabletoppers, 2 quilts, 2 doll quilts, 12 cChirstmas ornaments as gifts, fabric gift bags for all gifts and I have only 1 table topper to quilt (machine) for this weekend - gifts get sent out today - you just need to stay focused - it can be done - oh - I work M-Th 9 hour days as well - it is a question of organization and being ADD
    Old 12-08-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Retired Nurse
    In a weak moment I decided to make quilts for 3 of the grandchildren for Christmas. They came back from the quilter on Dec 1st. I have to have the bindings on all 3 before Dec 14th as they are being shipped out of state. I finished the binding on one today, two more to go. Christmas decorating & baking will have to wait until these are done. Lesson: Three quilts to complete at Christmas was a not so smart idea.
    I hope your sewing and quilting goes smoothly and you get them finished without too much stress. I know exactly how you feel. I had 3 quilts on my list this year with thoughts of a possible 4th. ROFLOL!! What was I thinking? I got 1 top finished and 1 more cut out. Realized the other one had to be shipped to CA so I'd better get busy. Ended up doing a princess panel/fleece backed for it- and a pillowcase rather than a pieced top. Turned out ok and it is for a young girl. I don't think I'll get the others finished but will wrap them up with a note that I'll quilt them after the holidays but they live here so it's not a big problem. They are getting pillowcases too but I can finish them in time. The 4th quilt will end up being a birthday present in March. Come to think of it, the other 2 have birthdays in Feb and March. Maybe I should make them all birthday quilts and I'd feel like I'm catching up. They all have other presents anyway. I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Yeah!! I am going to start early for Christmas 2012 - possibly making my start date dec 26, 2011! LOL.
    Old 12-08-2011, 06:03 AM

I've learned the meaning of P - L - A - N - N - I - N - G the hard way too - After Christmas I begin to think of next year's Christmas - and likewise if I've heard of new babys on the way- and weddings coming up and and and - I make a list according to month - in a notebook, so the overall plan is right in front of you, not on a calendar somewhere - that all of a sudden you turn the page to the next month and see that a birthday - wedding or ??? is coming up within days or within the month... and I begin sewing

I've also learned to just keep a supply of baby quilts on hand - not necessarily done - but quilted together - the binding is the easy part if the rest is done, for a quick gift... and if you can afford to work ahead - make quilts to store- there has to be at least one of a stack of quilts that will work for a quick wedding gift - anniversary gift - or whatever. My DMIL has a closet of them - all marked as to pattern and color - and are packed into acid free paper in boxes, and every now and again she goes in and takes them all out - airs them, and refolds them in a different way - so they never break the fibers and are fresh to go as a gift... not everyone can do as she does, but she has practiced this for many of her 92 years!! We are not all that fortunate- but I'm working toward having at least one quilt of each size available and then the supply of baby quilts - those babies just seem to pop up at the strangest times! right?
    Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

lol or do like I do: plan ahead well at least 5 or 6 months in advance !LOL well yes sometimes it works and well sometimes it doesn't !LOL
    Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Seems like every year I tell myself not to overdo on the gift making and each year I find myself in December scrambling, no matter how early I started... This year is no exception But... the quilts, throws & photos are so appreciated!
    Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 AM

Maybe if I started now, they'd be ready for next year. I'm getting slower as I get older, I think.
    Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 AM

Ha, Ha. That's not very many. How about 5, starting November 5. Worked my fingers to the bone.
    Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 AM

I always have higher expectations of myself than really what I can get finished. I learned a couple of years ago with a similar situation. I feel your pain!
    Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Oh, I feel your pain! I decided one year to make pajama's for all eight of my darling grandchiildren. Oh my gosh, I almost killed myself before I was done. And then it turned out that at least one of them could not wear the Minkee to bed as it was too warm. Arghhh!
    Old 12-08-2011, 10:11 AM
    Power Poster

If you are a last-minuter - I am willing to bet that you will do it again! Maybe not three quilts - but something! :-)