Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • It Never Fails >
  • It Never Fails

• It Never Fails

Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
    Hey Gale from North-Central Indiana,
    Now that it is warm enough, you could always use a clean picnic table...go to your nearest park with a few clean sheets....you can "get her done."
    :lol: Definitely not warm enough for that, yet, in NY, yet. I'm still in layers and sweaters.
    Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 PM

That reminds me. I saw a picnic table kit at the home depot today and was going to ask dh if he thought we should get one. I think I will start saving for one-then I can do it in my own backyard. Great idea!
    Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM
    Check this out ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

This is Sharon Schamber's method of basting a quilt, using boards - no more ruined knees! This is a 2-part video, be sure to see the next one too!
    This works for me.
    I have all of the same problems. Bladder, hip replacement pending and cannot get down or up from floor. :-)
    Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
    I watched a second tutorial (I think it was you-tube)with Sharon Shambers regarding basting a quilt if you are going to HAND QUILT. The procedure was slightly different, but for the love of me I can't find it now. Anyone know where this one is???
    I found the second tutorial with Sharon Shamber and basting...this one is SPECIFIC for hand quilting....hopefully it will be worth it to watch both the older videos and this new one. It is called Hoopless Hand Quilting....she bastes with DMC floss and closer together. http://www.youtube.com/user/SharonSc.../0/bDcLMiR2SAo
    Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 PM

OK youngster, the arthritis can be helped with exercise, nothing heavy, just stretching excercises while sitting at your embroidery machine can help (I do it all the time) - takes some of the guilt out of sitting at the machines for hours on end.
    As for the frequent "potty breaks", I laughingly refer you to the recent commercial that Whoopie Goldbert did for "Poise", adult panty liners. I'm tempted to go out and buy some, just 'cause I love the commercial. According to Whoopie, Cleopatra, Lady Liberty, and several other historical women suffer from occasional "dripping" and would have benefitted from this product. If you haven't seen the commercial, look for it and consider the product for your "problem"
    Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 AM

I had a nasty surgery last year and thought I had early menopause too (I'm 39) but it turned out to be something else, but nasty still all the same... I feel your pain!!!!

Hopefully you can leave the quilt taped on the floor until you can get back to it... take breaks in between or something... Another suggestion is (I use to do this myself) can you go to a local recreation centre and set up some of their breakdown banquet tables and tape the quilt to those??? Thats how I use to get my quilting students to get their quilts layered and basted in classes. Helps the back and legs and all body joints ALOT!
    Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 AM

I would definitly opt for the church plan. In most cases it is just a phone call during office hours. You will not have to be a member.
    Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
    I had a nasty surgery last year and thought I had early menopause too (I'm 39) but it turned out to be something else, but nasty still all the same... I feel your pain!!!!

Hopefully you can leave the quilt taped on the floor until you can get back to it... take breaks in between or something... Another suggestion is (I use to do this myself) can you go to a local recreation centre and set up some of their breakdown banquet tables and tape the quilt to those??? Thats how I use to get my quilting students to get their quilts layered and basted in classes. Helps the back and legs and all body joints ALOT!
    I live in the middle of nowhere and that's great for our quiet lifestyle but terrible for finding places like that. The only thing in our area is churches. Our library doesn't have the larger tables, just small kiddie ones that are circular and 1 large one that's still only as big as my own dining room table.
    Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 AM

Home Depot has cheap, sturdy tables that can be used to help so you dont have to use your floor. I bought one for $39 and it works great. I do not like to use the floor either, hurts the back too much; but I am 62. Try yoga...it also helps.
    Old 05-31-2011, 06:39 AM

You need a quilt frame, or a large table, to do this on! Doing it on the floor is a killer for any of us! Before I got a quilt frame, I did mine on a big table, using clamps around the edges. Even that is better than the floor. Take care of yourself & find an easier method!...