Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New experience >
  • New experience

• New experience

Old 11-24-2013, 07:53 AM
    Power Poster

I think it would be a very good idea, Protects both the quilter and client!
    Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 AM

I had only contracted a LA once in my life, and for that project I had a "project ticket" that she wrote that had just the basics on it ... the size of my quilt, the fact that I had supplied the batting, the estimated price, and the expected date of return. While I was there she deposited my top, backing, batting into a pillow case - folded over the top and pinned her copy of the ticket to secure it.

It did not mention the quilting design or the thread choice because I left both ENTIRELY in her hands after discussing several ideas.

If we had discussed specifics about the quilting/thread ... she probably would have included that on the ticket as well.
    Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 AM
    Power Poster

generally- yes. I have a form that is filled out when a customer brings in a quilt to be quilted- description & size of the quilt- type/size of backing- if it came in with batting or if I am providing it- what kind of batting & size. the agreed upon quilting design, thread choice, time frame agreed on and price of the 'job' -- along with quilt owners name, address & phone number and date it comes in...when you have everything in writing it protects you the customer and the quilter- I do not think surprises are acceptable. if something happens that I will not be able to get the quilt done by the 'promised date' I call as soon as I know this and talk to the customer about it- everybody happy means repeat business & referrals.
    Old 11-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    generally- yes. I have a form that is filled out when a customer brings in a quilt to be quilted- description & size of the quilt- type/size of backing- if it came in with batting or if I am providing it- what kind of batting & size. the agreed upon quilting design, thread choice, time frame agreed on and price of the 'job' -- along with quilt owners name, address & phone number and date it comes in...when you have everything in writing it protects you the customer and the quilter- I do not think surprises are acceptable. if something happens that I will not be able to get the quilt done by the 'promised date' I call as soon as I know this and talk to the customer about it- everybody happy means repeat business & referrals.
    My longarmer, who is also now a good friend, operates as ckcowl does....very professionally. She has built her business up to full-time and now has a client list of 250 happy customers. She rocks!
    Old 11-24-2013, 03:48 PM

I found a LAQ here on this forum. I am not picky. I email what I want and she emails back the cost. Done and happy.
    Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 PM
    Power Poster

A pro will require an estimate of the work and description of what is being done. They will examine the quilt and take notes on any problems like open seams or puckering, quilt out of square and stuff like that. They will ask what you want to do to fix and repair.

This is for her protection and yours just in case there is mis- communication.

Then there are those that are as easy as you want them to be and will do anything you want and work with what you have.

You really have to search to find the right connections that work for you.
    peace
    peace
    Old 11-24-2013, 04:44 PM

I am very lucky to have " Bob the Quilter". When I take a quilt in we discuss design and thread. Everything is written on a card and pinned to the quilt. I take my batting because I have a bolt. I just took 6 quilts to him and had them back in 3 weeks. Love the work he does and his prices are reasonable.
    Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 PM

I think it depends on how long you have had a relationship with your quilter. When I first started using professionals, they all had a form , and listed all the variables and the agreed quilting styles, thread etc. This also included and estimate of all the costs for the specific quilt. It also had a completion date that was agreed to by both .
    Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 AM

I provide the top and the backing. I get the batting from the LAQ. I only take things larger than 40 x 40 to the LAG. I have a box full of table runner and and small wall quilts or table toppers which I will get around to quilting someday.
    Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 AM

I found a longarmer through a friend. She did my first quilt, which was all straight lines, with butterflies and flowers, to offset the lines. We did not discuss how to do it. She has done two other quilts for me and we have discussed generally what is to be done, but I have not been unhappy with her choices of patterns, they all fit the quilt. I provide the batting and backing. The funny part is that I drop off the quilt in a parking lot, giving it to her husband, and he delivers it to the parking lot when it is done and collects the check. She lives quite a ways away from me and he works between his home and mine, so it works. (Wonder if the authorities want to know what we are up to, with a bag and a check going back and forth!) She does provide a receipt and charges what other long armers do. She also has fit in a quilt for me when I needed it done in a hurry for my daughter's wedding gift. The long armer was going on vacation and got it done before she left, giving me time to bind it. I could not ask for better service and quality quilting.