Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New experience >
  • New experience

• New experience

Old 11-25-2013, 09:04 AM

My long arm quilter has a program that prints out what the charges are - the size of my quilt; whether she or I provide the batting; the design; thread(if she provides it- sometimes I do); and the exact cost of what it will be. She has the info on her computer and prints out a copy for me, which she gives me again, marked PAID when she's done and I've paid. I think it keeps everything clear on what we both understand.
    Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    i haven't yet contracted with a professional quilter.
    after all i've read here over the years, when i finally do i will definitely insist that everything be in writing before i hand over my top.

i think that protects both parties.
    My LAQ has Hobbs 80/20 or provide your own, she provides the thread, and we decide the design, then she writes me a receipt with all details. No misunderstandings, no problem remembering, (my issue, not hers...) and I have never had a complaint with her work. My last quilt she did was 112x110 and cost me $185.50 for thread, batting, and quilting. Worth every penny. She also does mail service.
    Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 PM

I would definitely want something in writing.
    Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM

It would depend on your longarmer. The longarmer I was using we never put it in writing. She bought batting by the bolt wholesale so I always just used hers. It was about the same as a good sale at JoAnns. SHe usually had several different choices of batting. So may designs to choose from it was almost overwhelming.
    The longarmer I use now I supply the batting and backing. SHe has basic colors of thread, if you want something fancy in a thread you bring your own. She has done 2 quilts for me so far and has done an excellent job and her prices are good. No contracts. She is a member of my guild. One quilt I just told her to do whatever she thought looked good. The second quilt I just picked up today. I told her I wanted something like interlocking squares or geometric. She must have read my mind because she did exactly what was in my vision of what it needed.
    You have to know them. Otherwise I would want a contract.
    Old 11-25-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    My LAQ has Hobbs 80/20 or provide your own, she provides the thread, and we decide the design, then she writes me a receipt with all details. No misunderstandings, no problem remembering, (my issue, not hers...) and I have never had a complaint with her work. My last quilt she did was 112x110 and cost me $185.50 for thread, batting, and quilting. Worth every penny. She also does mail service.
    The above comment is not correct. You may ask her for a different batting, backing. Apologies.
    Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM

I'm just starting a LA business and have taken several courses from different LA teachers--all encourage a written ticket so there are no miscommunications, especically since successful LA (I'm not there yet!) may have a backlog of quilts and details can get forgotten. They also discourage the customer from bringing thread because everyone's machine has it's favorite thread! And customer thread can get old if bought by the large cones--which can also cause tension problems. prices will vary depend on your local's typical price, but also the type of quilting--edge2edge or border2border(either as a panto or free motion) is typically cheaper, custom quilting will be more expensive. And of course dense custom quilting will be the most expensive. Brand/type of thread reuqested can cause a difference in price--for example, varigated thread costs more than a plain, poly. ditto with bat--wool or bamboo is more expensive to buy. also, a busy quilter asked to do a rush job may need to "jump" a quilt ahead in the line, work really long/late hours, etc. In a nutshell--there are so many variables that determine price and the type of job done, that a written document makes sure that nothing gets forgotten. I feel like there is so much for me to learn!
    Old 11-26-2013, 04:56 AM

I have been doing long arm quilting for people for 8 years. In that time I have had one customer say it was not what she wanted. I agreed to pull the quilting out of her quilt and give her money back to her. She did not want the money back, but for me to quilt another quilt for her. I did write everything down that she wanted for her quilting, and I thought we agreed to the list. Well, she went out of town and when she returned, and I returned her quilt, she did not like it. Lesson learned, Next time, when I write down what the customer wants, I will have them sign that they agree to the list. I know, I would pull the quilting out again, after all the Customer is right.
    Old 11-26-2013, 01:51 PM
    Power Poster

I never get any paper work from my quilter...She has always charged me as she quoted me. She is great...
    Old 11-28-2013, 04:38 PM

It's a good idea. Have a wonderful customer...her 2nd quilt she asked for a thicker batting. We discussed the thicker plus a layer of the regular batting....when a price was given, she opted for one layer of the thicker batting. Yesterday she again asked for the thicker batting, said I didn't include the 2nd layer on the last quilt....and I was busy, so offered a discount on the batting for this quilt (my cost)...she said, "No, I'll pay for the batting & I don't need the 2nd layer." I wrote that down, in front of her... then she said to use the design I used before... I wrote it down. It is hard to recall what is discussed sometimes. Oh, and then she proceeded to pick out a different design, LOL. Yep, wrote it down.
    You want to write down the size of the quilt top & all that you discuss...not word for word...but the important things like thread color, batting type, design, etc. I even jot down "no choice" if they tell me to choose.

I don't charge a lot for quilting...but I do charge for batting & backing if I have to provide it.
    Hubby now hands me an order blank when he is there and a customer comes in. I also do embroidery...so some days it can get very challenging to recall what each person wants.

Originally Posted by Simmia
    Do you require a written receipt and a description of what you and your longarmmer has agreed she/he will quilt on your quilt ? And do you have a list of items you provide to her/him such as batting?