Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New to forum with a question.... >
  • New to forum with a question....

• New to forum with a question....

Old 05-12-2015, 10:44 AM

Default New to forum with a question....

I am making a baby rag quilt and am appliqueing on a few of the blocks (3-5 blocks. not sure yet). Anyhow, my rag quilt is 3 layers of flannel. When I don't have appliqueing on my block I quilt them with the traditional X. I want to leave the X off of the blocks I have appliqued. Can I applique through the first two layers of fabric and then just add the last block (the back side)? In othere words, my back side block wouldn't be quilted to the other two. Will this work? Does it have to be quilted? My blocks are appx. 7" from seam to seam.

thanks so much,
    twoblessings
    Old 05-12-2015, 10:50 AM

Personally I would would appliqué all 3 layers for durability, others will come along with far more experience than I and hopefully they can give you a better answer, I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the board, can't wait to see your finished quilt!!!

Last edited by tallchick; 05-12-2015 at 10:55 AM.
    Old 05-12-2015, 11:16 AM

It should work. I would not applique all 3 or else you'll see the backside of your stitching on the back of the quilt. since you aren't using batting, there's no reason you can't leave some blocks unquilted.
    Old 05-12-2015, 11:17 AM
    Power Poster

Hello - from Minnesota -

My suggestions would be - applique however you want to - then do a straight stitch (or hand quilting stitch) through all three layers around the appliequel

I think all of the blocks should have all three layers stitched together somehow - but that's me. I think the stitching showing on the back would be okay.

(I'm sort of in the OCD group!)
    Old 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM
    Power Poster

Welcome to this board. I agree with all the others. I would machine stitch around your appliques just to keep the three layers in place. It is for a baby so it will be washed often.
    Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 PM

Welcome to the board! The way I've done rag quilts, all the layers are sewn together, then the seams on the front clipped for "ragging". So, if I was going to do applique, I would do that on one or two layers, then put the third layer on before joining to other squares. Hope I made sense! LOL!
    Old 05-12-2015, 01:46 PM

Thanks for your response Lisa. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by tallchick
    Personally I would would appliqué all 3 layers for durability, others will come along with far more experience than I and hopefully they can give you a better answer, I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the board, can't wait to see your finished quilt!!!
    Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM

Seeing the stitching on the back is exactly what I am trying to get away from. I did two appliqued quilts with the stitching going through all three layers. It looks ok, but seems it might be a little rough when you cover the baby. I was thinking (like you said) since I wasn't using batting why do I need to go through all three layers. I couldn't come up with a reason why. But then again, I have never made a traditional quilt before. Thanks for your thoughts.

Originally Posted by gale
    It should work. I would not applique all 3 or else you'll see the backside of your stitching on the back of the quilt. since you aren't using batting, there's no reason you can't leave some blocks unquilted.
    Old 05-12-2015, 01:52 PM

Hi bearisgray, I hadn't thought of doing a straightstitch around the applique. Definately something to think about. Thanks!

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Hello - from Minnesota -

My suggestions would be - applique however you want to - then do a straight stitch (or hand quilting stitch) through all three layers around the appliequel

I think all of the blocks should have all three layers stitched together somehow - but that's me. I think the stitching showing on the back would be okay.

(I'm sort of in the OCD group!)
    Old 05-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Thanks for your thoughts.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Welcome to this board. I agree with all the others. I would machine stitch around your appliques just to keep the three layers in place. It is for a baby so it will be washed often.