Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New Iron is Needed >
  • New Iron is Needed

• New Iron is Needed

Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Prettiptibbs
    I second this post. My Vermont Country Store iron died within a week of receiving it. Buy a $20.00 Black and Decker at Walmart. Works just as well as the others and has a great steam output.
    Same thing happened to my Vermont ...iron - twice. They exchanged the first one then gave me a refund when the 2nd one failed.
    Old 06-11-2012, 12:29 AM

There was a big discussion here on the board about this not long ago. Look at this thread --->

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t188247.html
    Old 06-11-2012, 02:24 AM

I like the old, heavy ones. I had a cheapie iron for a while, and it started leaking. It still got hot, but it was so light weight, it didn't really get wrinkles out of clothes. So when it started leaking, I just went to the Dollar store and got a new one for $9. It steams good.

I got 2 old, heavy irons for $5 at an estate sale and I can't even turn them all the way to the hottest setting, because it's too hot!! I don't use water in them at all, I just use a spray bottle of water.

I don't let my kid use the heavy irons just yet. The $9 steamy one works good for him, and I don't have to worry about him scorching his shirts with the "cotton" setting on the old ones!
    Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM

I have had four Rowenta irons. The two high-end ones didn't last long at all. My other two are NOT auto shut-off and they have lasted for years. My two new favorites are from thrift shops: older model Proctor Silex irons that get hot and steam like champs. I paid $3 each for them. Last summer I was sewing at a timeshare and I almost put their iron in my suitcase it worked so well! I have lucked out and found almost identical irons so there must be a lot of them out there. I bought a $3 Rival at a thrift and that wasn't very good.
    Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 PM
    Banned

I have to post this follow-up to my own post. I just got an email from a customer service rep at Vermont Country Store. She read my post about the iron and sent me this: " I hope you do not mind me contacting you about the Vermont Country Store Dry Iron. I am a customer service representative from the company, and I noticed your post. I would like to make it right by you, as we do offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
    I would be happy to discuss this further with you, either on this board by private message."
    You don't see customer service like that anymore!