Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New at Longarm quilting and set up >
  • New at Longarm quilting and set up

• New at Longarm quilting and set up

Old 09-18-2019, 07:02 AM

Default New at Longarm quilting and set up

I have a wood Grace frame 10 foot and a Bailey 17 long arm purchased for a $1000.00 There is a stitch regulator (Sew Control) on the machine and it works. I would prefer to use the foot control but cannot figure out how. Please help as I am new at this and trying to learn and have a lot of questions. I have looked at online sites about the encoders and how to use the stitch control. However my stitches are more even when using the foot control.
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 AM

Have you contacted Bailey's ? From what I've heard, they are extremely helpful.
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:44 AM
    Power Poster

For a true stitch regulator the machine's needle will only stitch when you move the machine so a foot control or simple on off should not make any difference. If you are getting varied stitch lengths it sounds to me like what you have is not a true stitch regulator (if the machine isn't moving the needle isn't moving) but sounds more like you have a speed control. I don't see anyway you can put a foot pedal on a rack mounted setup. The machine head is constantly moving the length of the rack. The foot controller could only work if you had the machine stationary in a table. Also where would the wires go?? So without knowing this machine I would have to say the short answer is no you can't use a foot controller on a rack mounted machine.

All that said, I strongly suspect the Sew Control is more of a speed setting than a true stitch regulator, especially when brand new it is offered on their website at only $600. Even if it is a true SR, it probably isn't very advanced or responsive of a unit so your speed will come into play, especially if you slow down and speed up quickly or make abrupt moves. I wouldn't expect a lot of responsiveness out of the Bailey Sew Control, you can only buy so much electronics, encoder and computer for $599. Your best bet is to just practice with it until you find a comfortable speed setting for your movements. Also watch how fast you come out of a dead stop, that usually results in a long stitch. Likewise if you make a sweeping curve very fast then slow down abruptly that results in shorter stitches. Also there are varying qualities of stitch regulators on the market. Some are very responsive, others, not so much. The super responsive ones cost in the thousands. In the case of stitch regulators you pretty much do get what you pay for.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-18-2019 at 08:48 AM.
    Old 09-18-2019, 08:48 AM

I have talked a lot with reps from Bailey's They are very helpful indeed!. I have been researching them to buy one for several years now to use on my grace frame. I just have to get the $$ in order for it. Call them for help and you will get it.
    Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 AM

My first LA was a Bailey, and one big thing you have to remember is it's a rather slow machine. Even with stitch control, you can easily move faster than the machine can stitch.

When I bought mine, you could get a regulator (speed control) or pay more to get the stitch control (stitch speed depends on speed you are moving the machine). I think it was like another $600 add on. I did get a regulator with the Grace frame, but never used it (probably still in a box somewhere).

I'll agree that I think I'd also do better with a foot control then the regulator- but never could figure out how I'd deal with running the foot control while standing and moving around.
    Old 09-18-2019, 10:46 PM

Thanks I will contact Bailey and keep you updated.