Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New Orleans - Here I come!!!! - Anyone from NOLA that can help me out? >
  • New Orleans - Here I come!!!! - Anyone from NOLA that can help me out?

• New Orleans - Here I come!!!! - Anyone from NOLA that can help me out?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 AM

Default 3 weeks til my trip!

So here's my itinerary for my trip!

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Friday, February 20, 2015

Rent a car – quilt stores
    1 - Red Stick Quilt Shop (Baton Rouge)
    2 - The Quilt Corner (Baton Rouge)
    3 - The Quilted Owl (New Orleans)
    4 - Mes Amies (New Orleans)
    [/TD]
    [TD]Sunday, Feb 22, 2015

Cajun Pride Swamp Tours and
    Laura Plantation

504-467-0758
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Saturday, Feb 21, 2015

Audubon Zoo
    6500 Magazine Street
    Opens at 10:00 a.m.

www.FrenchQuarterPhantoms.com
    Ghost Tour 6pm or 8 pm[/TD]
    [TD]Monday, Feb 23, 2015

St. Louis Cemetery Walking Tour
    9:30 a.m. (2 hours)
    www.freetoursbyfoot.com

Flight at 2:00[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I'll be looking for a psychic reading (always wanted one of those) and will be doing 2 of the tours in the evening as well!
    Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM

If you are into history see the WWII museum. Also the 2 museums in Jackson Square. Be prepared for noise and more noise. Parking is very expensive in the French quarter. Be safe. DO NOT WALK ALone in the French Quarter! We are just a week back from NOLA. I stayed right in the French Quarter. Glad I had hubby and grown son to protect me.
    If you can eat at the Mona Lisa italian restaurant. Great food in the 1200 block of Royal street. Also have the Limoncello cake. Ohh so good! We saw the Oak Alley Plantation. It was worth the 45 min ride to see it. I did enjoy the 2 quilt shops. Totally different fabrics. I am planning my NOLA quilt with the Mardi Gras fabric I bought. Have a great time! Luann
    Old 01-29-2015, 11:54 AM

I can't help you with the stores, haven't been to N.O. in five years and when I did go, I didn't go to quilt stores. But...
    1.) Do NOT go to cemeteries by yourself. Ever.
    2.) You will love the plantation Laura. Bring a camera.
    3.) You will get wet on the swamp tour, bring a change of warm clothes in a waterproof bag.
    4.) There are 1.3 million people in N.O. area, 1.2 million of them do 'readings'.
    5.) The quarter is OK. But stay near crowds, keep your purses and money well under wraps.
    6. The Crawfish Ettouffee at "The Gumbo Shop" near St Stephens Cathedral is to die for. I am eating shrimp ettouffee from that recipe as I type. Get the cookbook.
    7.) If you drink, have 1 (no more, no less) Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens, sit outside in the gardens. If you don't drink, have a virgin Hurricane (unless you are diabetic).
    8. Biegnettes and coffee at Cafe du Monde across from St Stephens Cathedral on Decatur Street. A must see in N.O.
    9..) Splurge on Coffee and Bananas Foster at "Arnauds". Sit in the jazz room and enjoy.
    10.) If Cherries Jubilee is more your taste, try "Court of the Two Sisters"
    11.) For Seafood try "Acme Oyster House". You can tell where it is by the line out the door.
    All of these are between Bourbon St and the River. Stay in that area of the Quarter.
    The WWII Museum is well worth seeing. It will take several hours though. There is also a museum (jazz) at the old N.O. Mint. Nice.
    Avoid Bubba Gumps. Bleah. Too much good food in N.O.

tim in san jose
    Old 01-29-2015, 04:00 PM

I am excited for you. Sounds like a great trip is planned. be safe and have fun.
    Old 02-07-2015, 06:32 AM

Just to mention, there are always 'readers' on the weekends in the square in front of the main cathedral. It is great to see all of the artisans there too, so much creativity!
    Old 02-07-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by sweet
    Just to mention, there are always 'readers' on the weekends in the square in front of the main cathedral. It is great to see all of the artisans there too, so much creativity!
    I am glad you mentioned this. I haven't been to New Orleans in a few years, but I remembered there were lots of "readers" somewhere....and it is in the square in front of the main cathedral, just lie you say. And the artists were always great there too, as well as street performers.

It's a fun city to visit. I remember getting lost somewhere around the French Quarter because I was enjoying seeing all the wonderful architecture of the homes. Luckily my husband memorized the route I took and such so we could get back to where we wanted to be....

Dina

Last edited by Dina; 02-07-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Old 02-07-2015, 03:36 PM

If you have time when you go to Laura Plantation stop at Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve. When we were there we took a hike throughout the swamp. It was the only time we saw alligators because by the time we went on the swamp tour they had gone into hibernation. I enjoyed the Preserve much more than the swamp tour. It was at our own pace and we saw a lot more animals. We only saw raccoons on the tour. "Laissez les bond temps rouler!"

Last edited by tesspug; 02-07-2015 at 03:38 PM.