Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • new and questions >
  • new and questions

• new and questions

Old 11-18-2016, 02:01 PM

Default New to Quilting

Originally Posted by dottiemae
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I used a scant 1/4" and I now have perfect 3 1/2" strips. I did not realize that thread does take up room. I am using 100 % cotton.

Now working on matching seams. I have made a couple of blocks. Paying close attention to stitching, pressing ( don't want to distort those stitches) , and matching seams. I find it relaxing and fun. I will admit, I hope the next one comes out a bit better. This one is for me so a few mishaps are going to happen and I shall learn. Patience is something else I am working on. Plus pressing seams to the proper square so the sewing machine doesn't have a fit. lol. So much to learn. I wish our local craft store had quilting lessons at a more convenient time. I would go. It would be worth the money and oh the knowledge. But, I shall learn. I will succeed. Right now I am just having fun.
    Welcome to the QB Dottiemae and happy days ahead with your new circle of friends. I love your attitude towards learning and enthusiasm for a new hobby - sounds as if you'll become quite proficient all in good time. Enjoy many learning curves and stay positive.
    Old 11-18-2016, 05:53 PM

I have found that pressing from the top first has improved the accuracy of my blocks because in pressing from the back first, no matter how careful I tried to be, I always had little pleats in some of the seams. Now I always press from the top first and my accuracy is much improved.

In fact, I am so pleased that this flimsy I just added the borders to was perfectly square and my borders fit exactly. I didn't have to fudge the fit at all.
    Old 11-19-2016, 12:53 AM

Welcome to the QB DottieMae! We're so glad you joined us, and no question is too dumb to ask. Some of us (or maybe a lot of us) may have been wondering the same thing, but were too shy to ask.