Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New sewing machine for graduation! >
  • New sewing machine for graduation!

• New sewing machine for graduation!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Congrats! My daughter is a nurse. I'd spend around $500 on a vintage Singer Feather Weight & spend the rest on fabric or put it in the bank. Or even an old treadle &/or electric , old, old.
    Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Go to more than one sewing machine dealership to try out machines in your price range. You may be surprised to find that you "bond" with one brand more than the others.

If you can, try out Janome, Bernina and Pfaff brands; they are three of the top brands right now.

Also ask at a dealership if they have used machines in these brands in your price range. You get more "bang" for the buck with a used machine; some people trade up every year, similar to cars.

Instead of going for a machine that can both sew and embroider, I would get one machine dedicated to sewing and another machine for embroidery. Embroidery takes time to sew out; with two machines you can still be piecing while one machine works for you on embroidery.

I would add that, for me, the sound of the machine is important. My Bernina purrs when I sew. Loud machines and clunky machines are annoying to me. However, YMMV!
    I have two Janome's and I absolutely love them! One is a 6600 the other a 11000 - but started with a 350E (& loved that too and was just for embroidery work). Good luck on finding an awesome machine & double congrats on getting your nursing degree!
    Old 05-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Welcome to Nursing. I loved it and was never sorry . Perhaps consider a basic machine and start on your masters degree soon with the rest of your gift.
    Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 AM

I agree with Prism99 and suggest Janome, Bernina or Pfaff. I beleive that if you are going to spend a lot of money on a machine that you get a well know brand with a good track record.
    You will want one with needle down, thread cutter, decorative stiches ect..
    Bernina's are pricey and so are the accessories but Janome's accessories aren't as expensive and they have excellent machines. I know this because I have a Bernina that I love but wish I knew that info before I bought it. I had a Janome before that. Good Luck with you search.

Judy C.
    Old 05-10-2011, 10:22 AM

I agree. Go out and "test drive" several and see what kind of deal they can give you!! Congratulations!!!
    Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    congrats on your graduation! my suggestion would be to go to a sewing machine center and try out the different types. that will give you a better idea of what would be good for you. there are so many great machines out there.
    Old 05-10-2011, 10:36 AM
    Dee

Congratulations! I'd get a basic machine for what you really need now and then later get one with all the bells. Good Luck.
    Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by cafegold2
    Welcome to Nursing. I loved it and was never sorry . Perhaps consider a basic machine and start on your masters degree soon with the rest of your gift.
    Masters UGH,LOL.I bet more school it the last thing she is thinking of right now. Speaking as a nurse that has been up and down the ladder I suggest getting a good solid floor nursing foundation, So many young nurses climb the ladder too fast because administration pushes education, I have seen bedside nursing skills drasticly decline over the last several years. Most administative nurses have totaly forgotten the reality of bedside nursing and what it takes. I can speak from both ends I have been everywhere on the ladder from aide,to Director of Nursing and now reside on night shift back on one of the lower rungs lol.
    Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
    Originally Posted by cafegold2
    Masters UGH,LOL.I bet more school it the last thing she is thinking of right now. Speaking as a nurse that has been up and down the ladder I suggest getting a good solid floor nursing foundation, So many young nurses climb the ladder too fast because administration pushes education, I have seen bedside nursing skills drasticly decline over the last several years. Most administative nurses have totaly forgotten the reality of bedside nursing and what it takes. I can speak from both ends I have been everywhere on the ladder from aide,to Director of Nursing and now reside on night shift back on one of the lower rungs lol.
    Excellent Advice!
    Old 05-10-2011, 12:34 PM

No offense intended in my suggestion to start working on a Masters in Nursing. I graduated from a Diploma program in 1960. Raised the family in a small town. I was a big fish in a small pond. At 47 moved to a medium city. Quickly realized I had become a minnow in a big pond. I agree do bedside nursing to gain footing. BUT start the higher ed before and during early family. It makes a nurse more able to move up. Quilting will be fun . Only the new grad can decide for herself.
    Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM

Congratulations on your degree, I just attended my 50th nursing school reunion, I don't think any of us regretted becoming RN's. AT 50 I returned to school & became a nurse practitioner.
    Anyway, as to sewing machines, you'll get a different answer from everyone on this board. Go to the different dealers in your area & test drive the different models & brands. the vintage machines are great but I have to admit I totally love the computerized multi stitch & mutli task machines, my favorites are Brother or Babylock (Brother makes the Babylock) In my opinion much more bang for the dollar.
    Personally I would stay away from Viking, Pfaff & Singer at this point in time, a couple of years ago those brands were acquired by a holding company and have been going thru growing pains & it is difficult to find parts for the older models which were great machines. Hopefully they will be able to rebound.
    When you test drive the machine that is right for you you'll know it, it will call your name.
    Let us know what you decide