Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New sewing table >
  • New sewing table

• New sewing table

Old 02-25-2010, 04:51 PM

I have joined the forces and am almost done with cleaning/straightening my sewing room. I had been sewing downstairs in the lvg room, but my DH asked me to take it upstairs to our empty room... I took out all my fabric (way too much) and put it in the storage room, using the wrap around the ruler method... LOVE IT! and am in the process of organizing my fat quarters.

I had been given two old (antique?) sewing machines awhile back - I loved one of the cabinets so I decided to refinish it and make it so MY machine could fit in it - I knew I'd need some help with it - asked DH for advice - never dreaming he'd do it!! Today he came home from work, took out the old, put in the new and this weekend will most likely finish fitting it in!! A wonderful surprise!! Can't wait to strip and refinish the cabinet...
    Old 02-26-2010, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    I have joined the forces and am almost done with cleaning/straightening my sewing room. I had been sewing downstairs in the lvg room, but my DH asked me to take it upstairs to our empty room... I took out all my fabric (way too much) and put it in the storage room, using the wrap around the ruler method... LOVE IT! and am in the process of organizing my fat quarters.

I had been given two old (antique?) sewing machines awhile back - I loved one of the cabinets so I decided to refinish it and make it so MY machine could fit in it - I knew I'd need some help with it - asked DH for advice - never dreaming he'd do it!! Today he came home from work, took out the old, put in the new and this weekend will most likely finish fitting it in!! A wonderful surprise!! Can't wait to strip and refinish the cabinet...
    would love to see some pics
    Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 AM

I will post pics when done!
    Old 02-26-2010, 09:04 AM

I have my mother-in-laws old 1950 Singer machine that is in a cabinet. And needed a table to set up my 180 Bernina.
    I opened it up all the way to increase the top surface. And ordered a piece of glass to put on top. Needed to add a piece of foam board because of the hinges. But it works great.
    And I have a 16 x 54 inch sewing table now. So don't over look anything that can be used in a sewing room.
    Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 AM

pieces, I also use an old threadle machine cabinet (unfortunately don't have the threadle) as my sewing machine table. What I put over the hole was one of the ironing boards that you can buy, the ones that have the grids on them with the board insert. Works quite well for me and gives the machine some cushion to set on.
    Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 AM

I am less than 5 foot tall so I can't use my antique treadle sewing machine for a sewing table. I was at an auction and they were selling the sewing machine tables from an old Home Ec class. It has the opening so that the machine sits down in flush with the top of the table. I love it. However, I wish I had room in my sewing room for the treadle.
    Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 AM

Racnquilter a great idea. We quilters can always come up with ways to refashion items for our sewing pleasure :)
    Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 PM
    Power Poster

I can't wait to see the pics. Your hubby is a keeper.