Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New to this site and Quilting >
  • New to this site and Quilting

• New to this site and Quilting

Old 07-14-2018, 06:21 PM

I'm new to this board, too- just joined last night, but I *HAVE* made "memory" quilts for myself and my two sisters after our parents died. Mostly they are out of Daddy's flannel shirts, which he wore a lot of in his last few years. I wouldn't really recommend flannel shirts- the plaids are usually not woven, the grain is TERRIBLE and they are usually loosely woven. That said- when we were sorting out things at the house, I offered to make them and got the flannel shirts. Also, a pair of Daddy's dark green work pants, a blouse of my mothers that happened to be plaid, and anything we found.... in her cedar chest, we found scraps from our bedroom curtains at our first house, the living room draperies at our first house, and the living room draperies at our second house, as well as material our mother used to reupholster a hassock for our grandmother. One sister wanted mostly reds, one wanted blues, and I wanted greens. There were not that many greens but I had those green work pants. I just made up a square and made three of them. I bought some maroon flannel, some navy flannel, and some tan flannel and used it for a solid fabric in some of the squares. When I had the first three squares done, I measured them- I think they were about 10" and I just kept making squares- Any which way. Any pattern I wanted. I would make a square and then make 2 more of the same pattern and I kept each sister's pile separately. I'll attach a picture. At first, I cut the good fabric out of the shirts, but then I used the pockets, sometimes the cuff placket, sometimes the front buttons... These quilts are sort of heavy- and are large "throw" sized- long enough for a tall man to use. (Shoot- I am finding it impossible to load my picture!)
    Old 07-14-2018, 06:21 PM

I forgot to mention- I didn't use any kind of stabilizer.