Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • a new slant on our hoard >
  • a new slant on our hoard

• a new slant on our hoard

Old 03-21-2010, 08:52 AM

The connotations of the verb "stash" isn't as nice as the noun "stash"
    verb

1. To put or keep out of sight: bury, cache, conceal, ensconce, hide, occult, secrete.

2. To store up (supplies or money), usually well beyond one's needs: hoard, squirrel (away), stockpile, treasure.

noun

A supply stored or hidden for future use: backlog, cache, hoard, inventory, nest egg, reserve, reservoir, stock, stockpile, store, treasure.
    Old 03-21-2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    My "stash" is a life saver, fixed income came early last year = unemployed. I truly would have gone nuts if I didn't have my stash to keep me busy:)
    Oh I hear ya on that one, I am in the same boat, I keep telling my other half he would be in a world of hurt if I didn't have my crafts to keep me sane.
    Old 03-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jois
    I knew I was "collecting" fabrics but didn't know I was doing something RIGHT until I read a magazine that explained why all of us should have a stash to pick and choose from. I'm pretty sure the author recommended buying 3 yards at a time. I had to leave the house and go out and sit in the car I was laughing so hard. So instead of calling it hording - for goodness sake - call it what it really is ***** preparing a library of fabrics for your future use ***** So what if you won't live long enough to use it up, it is a library! Does your local public library have fewer and fewer books each year?

My only (LOL) problem is that I don't think I'll ever be able to cut into some of my fabrics, they are just too beautiful to cut up. I guess I should think of these as the reference section like the books that aren't allowed to be checked out.

I'm still working on buying three yards at a time. I don't make anything larger than a twin sized quilt any more so three yards seems excessive but IF I could just find that magazine again I just might be able to find some justification. Maybe three yards would equate to coffee table picture books?

Jois
    I love your explaination, thanks for sharing.
    Old 03-21-2010, 12:22 PM

I have been collecting fabric for my stash for a long time. I keep telling myself I will NOT buy any more until I use some of what I have, unless it's to good a deal to pass up or I really, really love it. Trouble is I keep finding fabric that meets my criteria. What's a body to do? I know I can use it up, as soon as I retire...
    Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by johnette
    I have been collecting fabric for my stash for a long time. I keep telling myself I will NOT buy any more until I use some of what I have, unless it's to good a deal to pass up or I really, really love it. Trouble is I keep finding fabric that meets my criteria. What's a body to do? I know I can use it up, as soon as I retire...
    I am retired, gives me more time to add to my collection. :lol:
    Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 PM

:-( The nearest fabric store is 60 miles away. This is why I love Fabric.com. Also, on the Sewitsforsale list, quilters are always offering fat quarters for about a dollar a fat quarter. I've never been disappointed. Once, I received over 20 that all had roses in them, my favorite flower. Therefore, I depend upon my stash. I'm retired now and still find enough in my stash to use. Hopefully, I'll have much of it gone before I die. The children will not want it! Silvia
    Old 03-21-2010, 04:09 PM

Years ago, I was teaching my best friend how to sew. We went fabric shopping, and as I purchased a piece of fabric, she said to me...."what are you going to make with that"? I looked at her with my most serious look and said, "Kay, this is speculation fabric....I buy it and will 'speculate what I'm going to do with it". I sure have had fun collecting "speculation" fabric all these years, and have a huge stash. There have been many beautiful finished results to emerge from that stash too, I might add. I love each and every piece. She has since become addicted like the rest of us, and every once in a while when we are shopping, I ask her what her plans are for a certain piece. She just looks at me, and we both start to giggle.

Nita
    Old 03-21-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nitabug
    Years ago, I was teaching my best friend how to sew. We went fabric shopping, and as I purchased a piece of fabric, she said to me...."what are you going to make with that"? I looked at her with my most serious look and said, "Kay, this is speculation fabric....I buy it and will 'speculate what I'm going to do with it". I sure have had fun collecting "speculation" fabric all these years, and have a huge stash. There have been many beautiful finished results to emerge from that stash too, I might add. I love each and every piece. She has since become addicted like the rest of us, and every once in a while when we are shopping, I ask her what her plans are for a certain piece. She just looks at me, and we both start to giggle.

Nita
    I love the idea of "speculation" fabric. I guess I've been doing that for years and just didn't know it's scientific name. The problem is that I've been collecting more than my brain can speculate. I'm trying to come up with something to do at a retreat day on Tuesday and there's so many that I want to get started on I'm having a hard time choosing. Do I want to do a tube quilt or do I want to use the Hickory Nuts? What a dilemma!
    Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM
    Power Poster

My sister has as much fabric as some stores. If anyone has taken some, I have not noticed.
    Old 03-21-2010, 06:45 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I will keep collecting. I noticed that i didn't have any browns in my collection so now I am collecting those.
    I told my husband the other day that when the 2 older kids move out and the youngest is on his way out if he will spend his days fishing and leave me alone to quilt. I made him promise. So I guess I need to keep collecting cause I am gonna have a lot of time to quilt when I retire which is 20 plus years from now. LOL