Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New & some ??'s >
  • New & some ??'s

• New & some ??'s

Old 04-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Welcome from Arizona!
    Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Hi and welcome to quilting! Just a warning: It's addictive as all getout!
    First, don't assume that precut squares are all perfect...I've found that some aren't.
    Second, are you addressing your needle straight on? If your fabric is going toward your needle at an angle, it may not come out with a perfect 1/4" seam.
    Third, are you maintaining a steady seam allowance or does it waver? Oftentimes as you start and stop a seam it could waver, so the use of a "sewing bunny" could be helpful. Just sew right onto a scrap of fabric [mine are 1" x 3"] at the end of each block, just like you would when chain piecing. Saves a lot of thread too.
    Fourth, you might find that sticking a piece of masking tape onto your bed at perfect right angles to your needle and at a perfect 1/4" from the needle could help
    Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
    Banned

Why don't you consider a varigated pink thread since there are so many shades and values in the quilt.
    Rotary Cutting. Learn to cut accurately. You will be glad you did and it will take a lot of frustration out of it. Watch some of the internet tutorials or if you are close to a shop that teaches, ask if they have a class in rotary cutting.
    1/4" seam. this is another absolute in quilting. If you want the pieces to fit together they will be cut and sewed accurately. Get one of the 1/4" feet for your machine if you don't have one or measure and put some tape on the base of the machine to guide you. And watch your starts and stops. Make sure you start at the accurate 1/4 seam allowance and end. Sometimes we tend to stop watching the guide and the needle goes off before getting to the end of the seam.
    There are not a lot of MUSTS in quiltmaking but the three that are: Accurate marking or alignment of the ruler, accurate cutting and accurate piecing. All the rest is what you the quiltmaker bring to the craft/art.
    Old 04-19-2010, 12:21 PM

I bought a presser foot that has the nub on the foot that makes 1/4 in seams. I really like it.
    Old 04-19-2010, 04:20 PM

I'm fairly new to the FMQ, so until I get better, I like thread that blends more with the fabric rather than lots of contrast. Variegated threads come in so many colors. When there are 2 choices similar, I generally opt for the lighter and have been happy with my selections. My favorite is Wonderfil Tutti 50 wt cotton. The only place I've found it is my LQS. It seems expensive at first, it's 1000 meters for about $10, but I've done a few quilts with the same cone and have 1/3 left. It goes a long way.

My 1/4" is much better on my new machine. It has a 1/4" setting and I can also adjust a little at a time. I had one of those 1/4" feet with the fabric guide on the side. My seams were usually off. I think the guide must have bent. If you aren't off too much, match the seams and pin and gently stretch while you so. I think it works best if the larger section is on the bottom.
    Old 04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
    Power Poster

Your size problem may be related to cutting, or sewing, or pressing and possibly a combination. One of the quilting gurus (can't remember who now) gives a very detailed account of creating the perfect block.

1. Measure each piece before sewing to make sure it is correct.
    2. Sew, carefully press and measure the sewed piece to see if it is the dimension it needs to be. If it is not, then check where you go off. (Is the seam to wide or is the pressing wonky?)

As for the thread: I like the variegated threads as well.
    Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM

Welcome from Missouri!

Lots of good advice here - obviously there are a lot of ways to get your consistent seam allowance. Try several until you find the one you are most comfortable with. :-)

The scant 1/4" allows for the size you lose when you turn and press your seam. Doesn't have major impact on larger pieces/fewer blocks - but....on smaller pieces/more blocks the difference is compounded.

Now for the cutting - when I was experienced enough to be really frustrated by my blocks not being right, I realized it was my cutting. My ruler slipped or I didn't measure right, or something.

Here's what worked for me: cutting at the right height (cutting table/kitchen counter) - much less strain and more accurate cuts; good lighting! even in daylight I use a lamp over my cutting table; after I have cut, I turn the strip around and see if I need to sliver cut. Those slivers really add up.

Have fun!
    Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 PM

here are a few things that i found to help me i just bought a 1/4 seam foot it has a guide bar on the side of it and makes perfect 1/4 in seams, second i use heavy starch when ironing my material , it seems to make it less flimsy to me , and also easier to cut, also when you are pressing your seams make sure you are pressing them the right way and not stetching the material while you are pressing it by using a back and forth ironong method
    Old 04-20-2010, 12:02 AM
    Banned

Hi leigha, and welcome from Oregon, I am a terrable cutter to. all though my adopted quilt mommy, sparky has given me good advice on cutting, and I did much better this last time. but I have learned both cutting and 1/4 seam, will make all the difference in the world of quilting. I am new to quilting. Penny
    Old 04-20-2010, 03:47 AM

Regarding 1/4" seam.....it may not be you - what machine do you have? The only machines that have totally accurate 1/4" seams are Pfaff nd Husqvarna because they are SCANT 1/4" seams.....I have made over 200 quilts and god knows how many other items and used to teach. I cannot make pieces macth on my mothers Janome in particular..but the other brands like brother, elna etc seem to be just as bad!
    Sorry to anyone out there that sells them..just my opinion of course!
    My suggestion..make sure your foot is sewing a SCANT 1/4" and bend the little guard till it is if you have to!