Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • new/stupid question (: >
  • new/stupid question (:

• new/stupid question (:

Old 06-03-2011, 08:28 AM

It depends on what you are doing, what your up for (do you want a challenge or not), and it is all about your attitude. I see myself as a highly competent person and I believe that I can do anything I set my mind to.
    Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Not at all, start with a small project, after some trials and errors, you will be addicted.
    Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 AM
    Power Poster

Hi, like some of the other replies, quilting is only as hard as you make it out to be, such as if you think you can't do it, you won't be able to. Think of the Little Engine that Could, I think I can, I think I can. I started out as a self-taught quilter, although I had been sewing since I was about 8 years old, and I sewed all my own clothes for years. Now don't laugh, but the very first quilt I made was from a cheater panel that I made for my daughter. I didn't know much about batting, so I used two layers of batting, and two layers of mattress padding. Then I sewed - stitch-in-the ditch around the squares and put an already made bias binding around the quilt. My trusty Kenmore machine loved to sew on heavier fabrics (thankfully, or I would have broken more needles than I can count). My daughter used it as a play mat outside for several years - no rocks or sticks could make their way through. Then I purchased a video and her "spinning spools" 3-ring binders with patterns, templates and instructions. Finally, I saw an ad in the newspaper for a quilting class, joined a quilt guild, took more classes, etc. - and the rest, as they say, is history. Just go for it.
    Old 06-03-2011, 09:50 AM

If you are interested enough to ask about it, you certainly can do it. If you LQS has any classes take them, just to give you an idea. And if your shop has as nice of people working there, they will be more than happy to help you. And then of course, there is always this wonderful board. I've learned so much from this board. So keep checking in.
    Old 06-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Welcome from Texas! No, I don't find quilting to be hard because most of the actual quilting is done by someone else! :) I LOVE MAKING THE BLOCKS, tho. I agree that you should be able to sew a straight line & follow directions, but sometimes, mistakes create beautiful things. If you want to really do the quilting part, make something smallish & practice BUNCHES! Good luck! However, always remember that this site has the most helpful, supportive & encouraging people that I have found so far.
    Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Oh, PS...there is no such thing as a stupid question, at least that's what these lovely people told me a year or so ago. If you are new you need to ask some of the questions,....so just ask and someone here will come up with an answer for you. I'm positive!!!
    Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM

There are no stupid questions......just questions waiting to be answered

I have to owe any success personally I had initially to all of the people on this board. The amount of informations here is astounding and they are so willing to share.

So become a regular board reader plus I would also suggest a beginning class at your local quilt shop. You will be quilting in no time at all.

(I would be amiss not to add that sometimes quilting can be exasperating, annoying and challenging but oh so addictive :mrgreen: )
    Old 06-03-2011, 10:21 AM

Some patterns are hard and some are not but, if you want to do it just jump in there with something you think you can acccomplish. If you have trouble or make mistakes just remember that the best quilter on here makes mistakes and sometimes has trouble with their project. You can do it.
    Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM

You can do it! At least on the beginning level - how elaborate you get later is up to you. TAKE A QUILT CLASS somewhere if you can. You'll love it!
    Old 06-03-2011, 10:49 AM

If I can start quilting at 70 yrs old there is no reason for you to doubt that you can also do quilting. Take a beginner's
    class at your local quilting shop and go from there. Good Luck and enjoy yourself. It is addictive. Sherry D