Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New survey....to quilt or cook? >
  • New survey....to quilt or cook?

• New survey....to quilt or cook?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
    Power Poster

I am with the sick and tired of cooking and cleaning up after cooking crowd. I also agree with Jingle I do not need every meal due to already being more then well fed. I like to quilt as it is much more satisfying. Cooking is a lot of work and afterwards there is nothing to show but a dirty kitchen. I do cook for several meals at once and DH is not too bad about left over or better said plan overs.
    Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM
    Power Poster

once in awhile DH wants to order pizza. Discovered the company where you stop in or can call ahead. They put the pizza together right in front of you and you take it home and throw in your oven. Other day I picked up 3. Got some extra wrap and put them in the freezer. they thaw in no time. I get in the mood and make extra meals also. Dh sometimes doesn't get home til 730-800pm. I do dishes because I'm faster and can tolerate the water temp to be hotter. He likes to do one at a time. I call him ahead and askwhat's for supper and sometimes he'll call and ask to have this or that pulled fromt the freezer or do it in the morning.
    Originally Posted by tessagin
    I headed to the grocery shortly for some ground beef and sausage. Going to make meatballs and stick in crockpot. Keep them warm and will do spaghetti and meatballs for supper. Big batch and easy recipes. Then I just reheat or freeze. Will do that. Got recipe for chicken pot pie. I precooked chicken and froze for that. Got T-bones on sale the other week. Nice ones. Pull one out of freezer in morning yesterday, threw couple taters in nuke and that was it. Have gotten to where I do simple make ahead and DH loves to throw things together. works for just the 2 of us. Love if I don't have to stand over it constantly. would rather sew. but like to eat too well.
    Old 03-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Now that it's just me I only cook twice a week -left overs in between and occasionally I will splurge and have a couple turkey Pot Pie's. I use to love cooking but it's not much fun any more.
    Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM

Definitely SEW, hands down!!!
    Old 03-04-2015, 11:20 AM

So thankful for peanut butter, my husband's go to meal when I am so busy sewing or quilting. I would much rather be quilting than cooking.
    Old 03-04-2015, 11:30 AM

This made me laugh out loud! I can just picture the potted plant on the stove. Closed for business.

Originally Posted by elizajo
    My wonderful mother-in-law cooked a meal with meat, 2 vegetables, and cornbread every day because father-in-law refused to eat leftovers. When he passed away, she put one of the potted plants from the funeral on the stove and said it was closed for business! Thank goodness her son is a good cook and eats leftovers many nights.
    Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 AM

I'd rather quilt than cook, but I also don't like to eat processed food. If I didn't cook, hubby would resort to eating things from boxes and cans. So I cook from scratch most nights, order out sometimes, or tell everyone it's a FFY night (Fend for Yourself). I have 4 kids--3 of whom are grown and gone and all can and do cook for themselves/spouses. Occasionally my DD does mega-cooking and blesses us with leftovers. The 4th kid is a teenage son who is getting cooking lessons from me, against his will. Oh, well. No one leaves this home without knowing how to cook at least 3 meals from scratch. That said, I don't enjoy cooking for 3 like I did for 6, but sometimes get in the mood.
    Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 AM

Because I live alone, Marie Calendar is my chef!!
    Old 03-04-2015, 12:03 PM
    Power Poster

No contest - quilting. Although I do admit to having a stash of chocolate and sometimes cookies or crackers, I do need to eat at regular times, because I'm a diabetic. However, I try to plan quick, easy meals for when I get sewing and lose track of time.
    Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM

I enjoy both but since I don't have time for either during the week I try to juggle on the weekend along with errands. On Sundays I try to cook a meal that lasts for 2 days and another meal or soup so the week is easier. Sometimes it cuts into my sewing time.