Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New survey....to quilt or cook? >
  • New survey....to quilt or cook?

• New survey....to quilt or cook?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:18 AM
    Power Poster

haw haw haw - anything but cook - eating is another matter...........
    Old 03-05-2015, 04:34 AM

Just mother and I and her deal is "she buys the food, I cook and she does the dishes". She is a willing candidate for my kitchen adventures as I am constantly finding recipes on line and try them out on her. We have found some tasty dishes neither of us have ever tasted so we have a binder of the ones we really like. So far Zuppa Toscana similar to the Olive Garden's is our favorite, another one is Red Beans and Rice. These are not the only two we like -- there are several and most take little time to prepare from quilting or my other hobbies. She never liked to cook and I love trying new recipes, so this arrangement works for both of us.
    Old 03-05-2015, 04:34 AM

I love to cook but I also love to sew and quilt. I would rather do either one than clean.
    Old 03-05-2015, 04:56 AM

I would rather be in my sewing room. but like a previous poster, I also like to bake. I hate planning what meal we will have for dinner, but I do it, maybe 3 times a week. I don't like leftovers usually, so I don't plan those. Soup is ok maybe once after the initial meal, but that's it for me.
    Old 03-05-2015, 06:36 AM

Dh did 99% of the cooking and I just retired. Told him I would make dinner on Mon, Tues and Wed. If he comes home from work and sees me quilting and no dinner going he just starts dinner with no complaints. I am very lucky and know and enjoy it.
    Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 AM

If I didn't have a husband, I would eat cereal, raw fruits and veggies, cottage cheese, and out all the time. The house would never be dirty; laundry would be a breeze; and I would have so much disposable time.

Being single and self-sufficient until you're 36, then marrying, can certainly be a shock to the system. But, I do like the old goat, I try to not complain out loud.
    Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 AM

I use my crock pot a lot...Just put what I want in it and go to bed at night. We are retired so we eat our big meal in the middle of the day... Usually make enough to last two days... When I make Spaghetti or Lasagna I make a lot...and freeze it in those small foil containers with lids and can just thaw, bake, eat, and throw containers in trash. If I make meat loaf I make at least two and freeze one for another time. I buy salad already made and keep cheese, pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms, and etc so it's easy to fix a chef type salad sometimes. I'm constantly looking for what is good but easy and quick.. But now my DH is easy to fix for... He never complains, will eat anything except chicken and dumplings.. And if I have nothing prepared I can tell him I don't want to cook and he says that's ok.. and he fixes himself a sandwich or calls in for pizza. Sometimes he does dishes too. Oh and he never complains about how much I spend on fabric. If he happens to be with me when I go to a LQS he says it isn't polite to leave without buying something and of course I agree. Time to go to my sewing room......
    Old 03-05-2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Heather Elaine
    I'm sick of cooking, having to come up with something different every dang day... Daughter-single, 29 and lives in her own house down the road but still eats dinner with us. I want to know what the empty nest feeling is like? I know I'm retired and they think I have all day to do supper but all I want to do is sit at my sewing machine, work on my design wall with scrapes of fabric and quilt. I'm FAT and don't want to eat a meal every night...Husband thinks if it's not meat, taters and veg. with cornbread it's not a meal. Just wondering how I did it when I was working graveyard for 20 years. Oh I know; I didn't sew and sleep all day while he was at work and she was in school. Guess ya'll realized this has hit a nerve I didn't realize I had hidden in the back of my mind...God help them when they get home tonight. May have a "Come To Jesus Meeting" with them about this issue. I need at least two nights off a week from doing supper. Thanks for letting me vent, what friends are for!
    you made me laugh as this is soooooooo true. HUGS
    Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM

a crockpot saves the day for me . put on high and cook 3-5 hours have potato or rice or couscous on side and a nice salad. several CP cookbooks.love them.even one for ribs. makes for plenty time for quilting, and still have a great meal. cmaras1234
    Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 AM

I love these stories of understanding, compliant, and unselfish husbands! You ladies (or gents) are to be congratulated on your choices!