Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • new topic.. other then me, who cheats? >
  • new topic.. other then me, who cheats?

• new topic.. other then me, who cheats?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:42 AM
    PJO

I can buy quilt tops off from Ebay cheaper than I can buy the material and make them. I always tell the person who recieves them that all I did was add the backing, batting and quilting - that someone else made the top. I take credit for my work only.
    Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 AM

I had never thought of doing that. Sounds like a great idea to me! I knew that I would never invest that much money for a machine to do something I would seldom use. Thanks for the tip.
    Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 AM

I bought blocks on eBay recently...some are fused applique but the others are pieced. I'm a newbie so I don't have a big stash of scraps to practice on and the scraps I do have are expensive fabric and I won't use them for practice. All of the blocks I bought were very inexpensive and well made. I need practice with machine applique and FMQ.

Six of the blocks are lovely dresden plates that I machine appliqued to make a (still in progress) small quilt top. It will be beautiful and I will give it to a friend as a thank-you gift. I'll post a pic when it's finished.

For me, buying those blocks was less expensive than buying fabric and I supported several sewers who have their own businesses. And I definitely was surprised how many completed blocks and tops are for sale on eBay.
    Old 09-06-2010, 08:19 AM

Just off the top of my head, I'd credit "others" as you have suggested. I've read so many posts here about quilts that have been discovered at estate sales, yard sales, Goodwill and various other places that weren't labeled and left the purchaser wondering. Any information on the labels is an important part of the history and making of the quilt, regardless of who inherits it. It's only right to give credit due to whoever helped make the completed project, even if you don't have the actual name. IMHO only.
    Old 09-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Sandra Lee does semi-homemade foods so why not semi-homemade quilts? :) also in the embroidery industry-if the embellishment is what you enjoy, rather than constructing the entire garment, you buy a blank garment and then you do your thing. to buy pre-made blocks or tops is no different. Life is too short to not do what you love!
    Old 09-06-2010, 09:12 AM
    Power Poster

If you consider that "cheating" then I suppose none of us should ever copy another pattern. It ain't cheatin' - it's getting things done. Good for you.
    Old 09-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by nana pat
    Would you also put down who grew the cotton, wove the fabric, spun the thread, etc..."Lovingly made by" sounds like you made it to me. Only my humble opinion.
    LOL well said!!!
    Old 09-06-2010, 04:44 PM

i too have been buying panels from ebay mmm wondering if maybe you we out bid each other on some lol. but back on subject i like to do panels and really embellish them to make them my own i get to pick the fabric for backings and frames i use buttons,flowers and fabric paints to add those little embellishments that just make the picture POP so then i feel that it is my own.
    Old 09-06-2010, 05:18 PM
    Power Poster

Just the fact that you give credit to "others" no matter how small the acknowledgement in my mind is not cheating.
    Old 09-06-2010, 05:30 PM
    Dee

I wouldn't say that is cheating. Its a thread that is helpful.