Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future.... >
  • New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

• New Walmart fabrics...the way of the future....

Old 05-14-2011, 03:08 AM

yeah - saw the same thing at one of our Super WalMarts...only ours had cheesy fabric - thin by most standards and the way they stuck in the fabric, it was an afterthought in the craft section.
    Old 05-14-2011, 03:09 AM
    Swap Hosts

We have two that are relatively close by - one has "normal" fabric and the other one has what you described.
    Old 05-14-2011, 03:48 AM

I talked to the fabric dept mgr and she (I know her personally) told me that they are not going to do that here at our store. She told the store mgr. to go talk to his wife and mother both of which sew and ask there opion of just offering 2 yards of pre cut fabric and see what they say. So for right now I think we are safe with our department staying with bolts, and then to we are far away from any other fabric store only have on Quilt Shope in area,and they honor Joann's coupons up to 40% pretty good for a small shop I think.
    The question of battin I asked her about this and she said that she has ordered it but it is on back order from the mfg. Hope they get some in soon.
    Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 AM

No changes in our w. m. in Cornwall
    Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 AM

I used to work at WM (until DH got too sick) and was told that there wasn't enuf sales in our store to justify keeping bolted fabrics and the entire dept was changing. But after many many complaints, they changed their mind. I am seeing great new fabrics...batiks too! Seems they are seeing the wisdom of quality. But I love the clearance tables....$2 & $3 yd fabrics ....I look every time I am there....lol.
    Old 05-14-2011, 04:14 AM

we are getting a super walmart on may 18th will be interesting to see what we have here in iowa city iowa
    Old 05-14-2011, 04:45 AM

Our walmarts have the jelly rolls, a few layer cakes and the 2 yd pieces. Im so mad at walmart for getting rid of bolts and panels. I hardly ever go there any more. There prices are going way up on everything and grocery prices are much higher than other stores around here so they have just about lost all my business when they used to get it all.
    Old 05-14-2011, 05:11 AM

As a mostly scrappy-look quilter, this new 2-yard thing is annoying! I strip piece a lot, so all the food-named stuff except for the occasional jelly roll does me no good...and fat quarters are just too short. Also, right now---my WM has mostly hot pink and brown prints. YUCKY to me, so I'm looking for another place for inexpensive fabrics. Hobby Looby used to be, but their prices have gone up here. Hoping for something new to open!!!!!
    Old 05-14-2011, 05:14 AM

Interesting. My Walmart has had fabric on the bolt since it opened years ago. Never seen the block a month stuff, or seen them have it in 2 yard increments. Weird. Testing a new concept maybe??? Virg
    Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 AM

We had one Walmart superstore and they quit selling fabric - cant even get precuts etc. Then they opened another one on my end of town - still no fabric!!! I am totally upset!!! They also closed the fabric section in Fulton (where my daughter lives - about 30 miles out) I have written to them numerous times and dont even get a response!!! I have approached the managers in each store but to no avail!!! I used to find the same fabrics at Walmart that JoAnns had but for much less!!! Now I have to go to Columbia (about 40 miles one way) to even look at fabric!!! With the price of gas though sometimes its cheaper just to go to JoAnns with coupons in hand lol

I have found that Walmart, LQS and JoAnns all have some not so nice fabrics. Its just a buyer beware. Thats why I dont buy a lot online - like to feel fabric and hold up to lights etc.

OK I think I am done now :lol: thanks cheryl :thumbup: