Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New Years Mystery Quilt 2013 >
  • New Years Mystery Quilt 2013

• New Years Mystery Quilt 2013

Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 AM

I did this the last two NYD. I don't think I will be doing it this year but I will be checking in and getting the instructions. I may make this later on in the month.
    Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 PM

ok, I think I am joining too... I want to use colors that go with my daughter's living room which would look good with a "modern" quilt
    But my stash is small and lacking the colors I need, I will need to go shopping tomorrow! I was waiting to see if I had to work or babysit before I could commit
    Old 12-30-2012, 08:28 PM
    Power Poster

Ok they have posted that the instructions will be available for 48 hours after it is done So not as long as I thought but still time to get them if you miss them that day Also there is 6 steps including the first one and she has the last clue posted at 2 pm ... here is hoping I can get it done in one day LOL

I thought Fabric A cutting was very confusing also - so glad it wasn't just me and in fact I know I screwed up and cut one of my 58" pieces into subsets so I will be sewing pieces together to get back to the long strip Oh well all fixable
    Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 PM

I have read the directions for fabric A several times and still don't really understand it....
    Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 AM

Forcing myself to shop my stash has resulted in...interesting color choices. This may be the strangest quilt ever, but hey, it's all in fun! Now to get these cut as per the first instructions. I'm a little bemused by the complicated directions for A as well; guess I'll just be veeerrrrrrry careful and got step by step ever so slowly and hope I do it right.

Can't wait! I'll be printing out the pdf's as we go along just in case I fall behind.

--Q
    Old 12-31-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
    Anyone else kinda confused on the cutting instructions on Fabric A? I know I did some right before I went to bed, but they are not easy! Luckily I had more than the 2 yrds, so I should be ok, but maybe cutting during the day!
    If you're on facebook, there's a page for Merry Mayhem where people are asking questions and having them answered. Cutting fabric "A" is a popular question! She says you must have 48" in length of both 3-1/2 and 4-1/2. It looks like the page will be closely monitored during the clue posting, so we'll be able to ask questions or find answers.

Quossum - your fabrics are great! I can hardly wait to see your quilt.
    Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 AM

I went into my stash and came out with some interesting choices too. I can't wait to do this.

I had hand surgery on Thursday. I can sew but not cut. DH says he will cut for me.
    Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 PM

Oh Kakels I could have done with a dh like yours earlier this year when I had mine. Just be careful so soon.
    Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM

Please explain a mystery quilt for me. I have never done one but it does sound interesting.
    Thanks
    Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM

It's just like making any quilt by following the directions step by step...except that there's no finished picture of the quilt you're making, and often the instructions are given in such a way that it takes several steps before you realize where you're going with the overall design...thus the "mystery"!

This one starts here: http://www.planetpatchwork.com/myste...ry135part1.htm

Throughout the day tomorrow, the next steps will be posted, and those of us "playing along at home" will try to complete each step as or before the next is given. Not everyone will keep up, but trying is a heck of a lot of fun! No pressure, though, it's not a contest or anything. Just a way to have fun and be motivated to make a quilt in a single day.

Join us!

--Q